It's Not Heroin. It's Insulin, Idiot. (Treebros)

Straightedge!Connor, Diabetic!Evan

Wattpad is being a little shit right now

Connor Murphy was an idiot.

He lived on the south side, outskirts of town, so he had a pretty corrupt mind for someone of his age. He was seventeen years nine months, twenty-four days, nine hours, and thirty-one minutes old. Connor was far from a genius, but when he got bored, he did the math. The numbers kept changing, though, so he kept it on a timer. There was a sense of comfort in knowing how old you are, exactly. It was a sense of peace in the crazy would that Connor was living in. It provided an escape for him, from the crazy men outside his window, selling drugs in an alley. He was used to seeing students at his high school doing drugs.

However, he was not used to seeing the anxiety ridden, probably most down on drugs guy you'll ever meet, Evan Hansen doing them.

Connor became increasingly concerned, as even would just bring out syringes and clear liquids into class. He would take them in the hall, no one giving him a second glance. Connor was worried about him.

—Evan—

Evan Hansen remembered it like it was yesterday.

It was August, and Evan's mother was in between insurance plans when he fell ill. They figured it was just a normal stomach bug. Nothing would come of it. Evan couldn't keep anything down after the Mac and cheese he had for lunch. It was a sad day. His mother had told him to lay down and take a nap, but when he awoke, he felt worse. His mouth was dry, his vision was blurred, he was dizzy, and he really had to pee.

His mother already knew what it was.

She took him to a regular pediatrician, who took one look at the seven year old before saying, "Get him on an ambulance to the children's hospital."

Little Evan was scared out of his mind. The last thing he remembered was being in that ambulance, telling the friendly man his name, and then he came to, three days later in the middle of a hospital room. His family, and his friends from church surrounded him, including his cousin, who had just had her first daughter, Samantha.

Evan liked the toddler. Sam was three months old, and one of the cutest things he had ever seen. He had gotten to know her, because his mother and her husband shared a driveway with Evan. He could walk to their house whenever he wanted.

The baby reached for Evan, but he shook his head, reaching for the large white teddy bear who he had named: Mr. Snuggles. He was given to him by one of his mothers colleagues, Olga.

Evan was confused as to why he was where he was, surrounded by so many people, until it was all cleared up for him.

His doctor waltzed into the room, looked at Evan, and said, "You have type one diabetes." He went on and on about how Evan's body attacked the beta cells in his pancreas, making it unable to produce insulin. He would have to take synthetic insulin via... injection. If he didn't, this would happen again. There would be too much sugar outside of his blood cells instead of inside of it, making his energy go low. The blood would become so thick that it would start to let the sugar out via urine, damaging the kidneys. If the kidneys have sugar spilling through, he would eventually have proteins spilling out. These are called ketones, and they are bad. They basically tell you how much sugar is in the blood via urine. If you have too many, this happens. It's called Diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA, and if Evan didn't give his insulin shots to himself, his blood would thicken, this could happen again, and it could cause brain damage.