instincts (treebros)

Human contact.

A basic necessity. It's something that everyone in the planet, even the hermits and sociopaths, crave at some point in their life. From birth, a persons mind is hard-wired to crave a mother's touch to survive... so who made it a rule that that craving would have to be suppressed after the first year? What norm made humanity shove all their primal instincts into a bag and forget about them after the first stages of life?

Instincts are instincts for a reason.

And Connor Murphy had gone against every single gut instinct in his body to get himself into this situation.

"They're gonna kill me." The words came slowly from the boy's chapped, pale lips, his eyes staring back at Evan's baby blue ones. He felt his heart skip a beat looking at that boy. Everything about Evan; his hair, his eyes, his smile, his laugh... his heart. It was everything to him. He was everything to him.

And that was the only instinct that Connor could go off of... It was the only instinct that Connor could only remember.

Love.

The craving for human contact comes with the intense feeling of attachment to another person. A longing... a need. Love explained everything that Connor was lacking. He was lacking love.

And he found it here.

"Ev, they're gonna have my head on a plate if we tell them right now, you know that."

Evan threw his head back in a gentle chuckle, his eyes crinkling at the sides. He then made an effort to shove his head into Connor's chest, wrapping his arms around him, giving him that oh, so needed human contact. "Connor," Evan began with a tiny smile. "Connor, you live with me now. We've been roommates for two years and if your family can't get over the fact that two gay boys rooming together that have known each other for eight years might lead to something... I don't know what to tell you."

"Evan, they don't know I'm gay," Connor sighed, rolling his eyes, turning the corner onto his street. "We've been over this. They're extremists. They'll either go out and buy confetti or completely cut me off."

"They're not going to cut you off, babe," was Evan's reply. "Your family loves you... you're not who you were in high school."

"Yeah," Connor retorted. "I'm just a gayer version."

"Aren't you happier?"

Connor took a deep breath, feeling his energy almost completely depleted at the question. He used to be so angry... so sad, so... miserable. He was so much happier now, and Evan knew it. The two had been wanting to tell the Murphy's since they'd started dating. It was almost a year, now, and they headed back home for spring break. Evan was having a day off from helping his mother. Connor, for the first time since he dropped everything to go to college with Evan (he'd said it was because of their music program, but the only people who didn't know his true intentions were his family), and he didn't know if any of them wanted to see him.

"You have no idea how fucking happy I am."

"Then you have nothing to worry about, Con." Evan gently raised his hands to Connor's hair, slowly tugging at it, his bottom lip drawn into his teeth. "I'm just making you look spiffy and wonderful like you always do."

Connor rolled his eyes and pulled Evan's hand down. He gently pulled on his arm, the opposite direction of his house, but even pulled back harder. "I'm a dance major; you're a twig. Come on, babe, it won't be that bad."

"Evan they'll hate me."

"Then you don't need them!" Evan frowned, almost forcefully, but with a gentle grip, pulling Connor to his old house. Evan raised his hand to the door and knocked, immediately removing his hand from Connor's right before a tired looking Zoe Murphy opened the door.

Zoe blinked at the sight of her brother, before turning around to let out a yell, "Connor's here!" She then looked back at her brother and squinted. "You got a haircut... and a tattoo."

Connor rolled his eyes. "Zoe, it's creepy when you do that."

Zoe laughed and pulled her brother inside, Evan instinctively following the other. She took him into the living room, sitting him down in between his parents, who were both thrilled to their son.

Cynthia smiled, setting down her coffee and crossing her legs. She looked up at Connor with a small grin, looking over at Larry, who was waiting patiently, looking at Connor.

"Hey," Connor smiled. "I know I called and, uh said that I had something to say... I didn't know it would be this quick."

"I figured if you have something bad to say then we could just get it out of the way," Larry laughed gently. "And change the subject or something."

Connor looked at Evan, biting his lip as he looked around the room. He opened his mouth, his lips parting softly as he looked up at his family. "I.. I can't." He stood up, pushing himself out of the chair, before evan pulled him back into a tight hug. It was blissful, like none of his family were there. It was just him, burying his head i. Evan's shoulder, until the other broke the hug, tilting his head up.

"You can."

Connor took a deep breath, his hands shaking as one grabbed onto Evan's. He stared into the other's eyes, before he turned to his family and mustered out the smallest, "I'm gay," he could possibly think up.

"I know."

The voice was from Larry Murphy, who was glancing from his son to his wife. He wore a gentle, considerate smile, while Cynthia frowned, but still gave Connor a reassuring smile.

There was a moment of silence, and Connor felt relief wash over him.

"You both owe me twenty dollars." Zoe broke the silence after a moment, standing up to ruffle her brother's hair.

"Zoe, now is not the time," Said Larry. "Connor..." he began. "You really think I wouldn't love you because you're happy? Because you have a partner like Evan? Your mom and I would joke that you two were made for each other. It's not that big of a deal... at least for us."

"Yeah," Cynthia began. "Con, in high school, you weren't happy... You weren't happy and that killed me. I just want you to be happy... no matter who you bring home or have hanging off your shoulder, okay? It's alright."

"You promise?" Connor murmured.

"Promise."