It's Not Christmas Without You (Treebros) (I promise its fluff)

Connor Murphy sat alone on the floor under his lovely Christmas tree in his apartment on December 24th. His eyes glazed over as e over exaggerated his smile. He hung up that year's ornament. It was a small stocking, with a photo peeking through a plastic covering. It was of him and Evan, earlier that year. Evan was in uniform, his lips on Connor's. Connor had his hands around Evan's neck, and he was smiling wide. The photo was the happiest photo he could find of that year, and he always kept up his tradition, ever since they became more that friends.

Connor loved that photo.

It showed how much Evan loved him, and how much he meant to Evan. Connor could see the pure passion in Evan's face. Evan's hand was on Connor's chest, as if he were feeling for his heartbeat, and Connor knew he would always find it. "Damn it, Ev." He whispered.

A month before: November 7, Connor had gotten a letter from Evan.

Dear Connor Murphy,

Looks like I can't make it home for Christmas. I'm sorry, babe. I did get you something, though. It should be there by then, and I It isn't, well, I'll just have to yell at the USPS, won't I? Don't open it until Christmas, okay?

I know you're upset, but I'll be home soon. We can have Christmas any time of year. Who says we have to conform? I believe in you.

Your dearest, Evan Hansen

Connor sighed, still staring at the letter atop the dim fireplace. It was 11:06 PM, December 24, 2017, and Connor Murphy knew that his beloved Evan Hansen wouldn't get to spend Christmas with him, because he was out fighting someone else's war.

Connor didn't approve when Evan said, "I'm joining the army." He still doesn't, but the thing is, that was never his choice to make. Evan had his own battles. Why would he want to take on someone else's?

The answer was simple, really. Evan wanted, more than anything, to help people, and that was the best way for him.

Still, it fucking hurt knowing that his love was going to be across the ocean with bullets flying at his head on Christmas Day.

Connor was hurting that night as he set out a plate of cookies as tradition told him to. He took a small chunk of one, admiring his work in the decorative icing, and sighed, trudging up to bed.

Christmas Day didn't feel any better, even when he awoke to find his sister laying n the couch with her Cell Phone in hand. She smiled at Connor when he caught her eye. "Hey, Con." She said, bluntly. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Zo." Connor sighed, sitting next to her. The time was 10:56, and he still didn't feel his usual Christmas spirit. "How did you get into my house?" He suddenly realized.

"You need to learn to hide your guest key better. I figured I'd surprise you." Zoe placed a hand on his shoulder, affectionately. "Anyway, the rest of the family should be here in about—"

There was a light knock on the door.

"Now."

Connor stood, pushing his hair out of his face as he opened the door to reveal his mother, father, and Evan's mom, all smiling wide. "Good morning, Connor," his mother said. "Merry Christmas."

"Thank you, Mom. Merry Christmas to you, too." He turned to Heidi, slapping in an exaggerated smile. "How have you been?" He inquired, tapping on the doorway as he invited them to come in.

"I've been good," Heidi bluntly answered, smiling that same over exaggerated smile.

Connor nodded, ushering them into his living room, where, over the fireplace, he hung his and Evan's stocking. Both were full of random gifts and candies, but only one was to be emptied. Connor nearly stopped in his tracks when he looked at it. His breath hitched. He did not let it show, though, for his family was there, and he knew that, if anything, they would feel just as bad as him.

Connor sat, pulling gifts from under the tree, trying hard to keep his smile on as he gave every single person a gift. None were under there for him, but he appreciated their presence as a gift.

When it was all said and done, Zoe had gotten the trilogy of her favorite book. His mother had gotten a new spice rack (something she'd been begging for for a year and a half), His father had gotten a few new flannel shirts, and Heidi got a photo album that Connor found when he was cleaning out the basement, of her and her son, up until the day he left.

"Connor, who is that one for?" His mother chimed, pointing to a very large package by the back door, behind the tree. It must have slipped his vision when he was grabbing the other gifts. He stared at it, seeing large black lettering on one side: CONNOR.

"That one is from me." Zoe stood, assisting her brother in moving the tree out of the way.

"Zo, you didn't have to."

"Shut up, Connor. Just open it." She looked undoubtedly satisfied with herself as she handed him a pair of scissors. "Carefully," she added. "It's precious cargo."

Connor nodded, tearing away the paper, to reveal a large box, saying, "Handle with care." Connor for sure did not want to mess up his gift, so he sighed, slicing open the minimal amount of tape on the gift. He flipped the box open, stepping back.

"Oh my god I thought I was going to suffocate."

Connor's hand flew to his mouth. He blinked in disbelief, tears rushing to his eves. He let go of his emotions, nearly collapsing on the floor when Evan Hansen, in all his glory, stood up, stretching and stepping out of the box. He caught Connor, tilting his head up. "Hey, Love."

Connor took a sharp breath, looking up. "Holy shit, Ev," he whispered, pulling him closer. "I... I thought..."

"Me too, but, hey, surprise." Evan whispered, taking Connor's hair out of his face. He leaned down, gently, tears in his eyes, and kissed Connor passionately. "God, I've missed you."

"Me too," Connor whispered, shaking his head. "It's just not Christmas without you."

Connor suddenly felt another presence join in on their hug, and upon further observation, he realized it was a teary-eyed Heidi Hansen, hugging both of her boys.

It was a good day, after all.

a/n

Well this is bad but it's cute and I'm trying to write this before choir. Lmao it's been a decent day because I got to grieve a little girl so happy with presents in my study hall period.

Anywho I'm about to be singing in choir (my favorite class of all time because I'm REALLY good at it.

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka Foblvr