The Tenor (Galaxy Girls/Zolana)

Zoe Murphy was a talented freshman alto, living the life in varsity Choir.

That was a lie. She worked her ass off to get in that class.

You can imagine the disappointment when she was given her schedule. She looked it over, sighing in defeat when she saw her fifth period. Choir one. Zoe knew she didn't belong in choir one. She was better than that. In middle school, she had been in the JV choir, simply because she didn't have the chance to audition for it at the end of sixth grade, but the next year, she made it into the middle school varsity all women's choir.

It wasn't much better. No one really liked Zoe when she was in that choir. The person she got along with most in that class was her teacher, plus a couple of seventh graders that she treated like her children. She was moved from alto, with one of the prissiness girls she had ever met, to alto one, but it didn't help balance it out. She'd had a strong voice, which the soprano one's lacked, so by the end of the semester, Zoe Murphy was living it up as a soprano one.

But now she was in high school, and she knew she belonged in Varsity. On the first day her teacher had said, "If you are a sophomore, or a junior, or a senior, even, and you have been in this class before, let me see if I can bump you to varsity. You just have to audition." And Zoe's heart sank. She was positive he would discriminate against all the freshmen, like everyone did, but she summed up the courage to ask about it after class.

"Excuse me, uh, Mister Dean? I was wondering if freshmen could audition for varsity, also?"

"Of course. Forgive me, it takes me a moment to remember names. What's yours?" He asked, looking up from his small handbook of folk songs.

"Zoe Murphy, sir."

"Yes, of course, Winslow told me about you. Come by after school, today. I'll see about it." He gave her a cheesy smile and she thanked him, grabbing her bag and heading to her next class.

Zoe auditioned that day, and she was so nervous. She was given that same book of folk songs, and asked to sightread Numbers two and three. He gave her about five minutes to prepare, before asking her to sight read the first one, which she had nailed down easily. The second one, however, she was terrified about. She told him how iffy it was. It was in a 2/4 time signature, and it was all steps, aside from the triad skips at the end. Zoe had only gotten halfway through it, and she was terrified to read it for him. Nonetheless, he just gave her a reassuring smile, and she read it. She read it perfectly for him. Two minutes later, he was handing her a schedule change slip and saying, "Welcome to Varsity Choir."

Well, now, we were here, and Zoe had been in varsity for quite sometime. She had gained some confidence, and some friends, and she really loved how intense the class could get.

But now she was auditioning for a solo in a song that was traditionally sung by a male. Most of the girls who tried out were sopranos, with a few of her alto friends, but all of them took it up an octave, like her director instructed, but when he got to her, she looked at him, and said, "Mr. Dean, my throat hurts today. Can I possibly take the lower octave?" And he looked at her, shocked, but nodded nonetheless.

Zoe nailed it.

She was proud of herself, as she looked back on the choir behind her. She glanced up at her director, and he was grinning like an idiot, looking at their mediocre at best tenor section. They had one loud boy who didn't know what he was doing, one really talented boy who did know what he was doing but never showed it, and about three others who half-assed everything like it was some sort of joke to be in varsity. Why was he looking at them?

He then turned to her, smiling widely and said, "My Dear, you just became a tenor."

Zoe was shocked, and excited, and terrified, and she looked at him, aghast. "What?"

It's been two months since that happened, and she was now a top row tenor, right next to the loud kid, who had become one of her closest friends.

Who sat on the other side of Zoe? Oh, none other than the worlds most beautiful soprano, Alana Beck.

The way their choir was sectioned was like most, but they mixed up the tenors and basses. It was easy, really. Everyone had a place. Soprano, Tenor, Bass, Alto.

Alana was a fucking godsend. Her voice was soft, and so powerful. She would get so into the music. One of their UIL selections, Alana cried over with Zoe when they first heard it.

Alana paid no attention to the new seating arrangement, and sitting next to Zoe, until Zoe was deemed the tenor section leader for UIL, because besides the talented boy, Zoe was the only one who could remotely sightread.

When that announcement was made, Alana started passing notes to Zoe.

A: Congrats in section leader. Great conversation starter, huh?

Zoe took out her pencil, scribbling a response.

Z: It's insane. I never thought that it would go this far.

A: You're talented.

Z: So are you.

A: Do you want to go look at sheet music together after school today? I could use some help on some UIL songs. Dean isn't available until Thursday.

Z: Of course. Tenor parts are tough. You get the melody sometimes, and then two measures down, you have harmonies.

A: I bet.

They kept passing notes for about a month, learning everything there was to know about each other. Zoe found that Alana had been singing since she was three, she had a dog named Juno, and her favorite animal was a ladybug.

That's cute.

Fuck.

Zoe had given Alana her number in the notes, and they began texting, not long after that. She loved texting Alana. It was the highlight of her whole high school experience. Hell, Alana in general was the highlight of her high school experience.

So, on the last day of school, the whole choir had a free day, and Zoe decided that she was going to do it. She was going to ask Alana out.

She and Alana, on free days, often asked to go to practice rooms to sing musical theatre duets with each other.

This time, they decided on one, where Zoe took the guys part. It was the song: If I Could Tell Her, from Dear Evan Hansen, which, ironically (or creepily. She couldn't tell) had her and Alana's exact names as characters in the musical.

But Zoe sang her heart out to Alana, and ever since, thy had been the entire school's lesbian otp.

End.

—a/n—

Lmao by the end of this it became a crack chapter.

Okay it's shorter than my angst's but I didn't feel like writing angst's today so have a fucking fluff break

Psa I don't ship this that much idk why I wrote it but hey I did so you know lmao you only live once.

I start school again tomorrow I want 2 die.

Anywho I want cheese sticks so I'm gonna get them I'll see you guys soon

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka Foblvr

Edit: I PUT THIS UP ON MY AMINO AND IT HIT FEATURED AAAAAAA