11:33 (Conlana)

The day was like any other.

Alana Beck sat in a desk outside the theatre room at 8:03 in the morning. Her legs were crossed, her attention buried in a wonderful book about dragons. Her backpack sat on the floor next to her, her hair just barely crawling over her shoulder. There was a pencil on the desk—one that was always there. She never bothered to move it, since it appeared to be there for a reason. Her shoes were black dress flats, and she was wearing Jeans and a blouse, but it was covered by a cardigan.

Everything was painfully normal.

8:07, Connor Murphy dropped his things at her feet, kneeling in front of her. His eyes are full of concern, and her hand is in his by eight-o-eight.

"Did you see the threats?" Connor asked, rubbing her knuckles. "You look uneasy, 'Lana."

"Con, I..." She our down the book, glancing at the notifications on the phone. She closed her eyes. "They should have canceled school today."

A day like any other.

"Come on, Alana." He squeezed her hand. "You're not scared, are you? Don't get too uneasy," he whispered. "Even if they're legit, the school's got campus police posted at every corner."

She set her phone down, tilting her head up. Her panicked eyes met his calm ones. "I'm so scared, Con."

"You have a right to be."

Maybe he didn't believe it himself, but seeing her in such a distraught state, scared him enough to let her know she wasn't alone. He pulled her out of her seat, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her forehead. "I see you. You're okay. I'll be with you the whole day."

"Yeah." She knew it. They had every class together. It started with precalculus, then physics, then musical theatre, then lunch, then a free period, then library aids, then English, and finally History.

They were never apart. That's why they were so close.

9:23. First period had dragged on, and the last seven minutes of class were theirs to blow. Connor and Alana sat next to each other, talking mindlessly about things that they had misinterpreted from the news. They loved mocking people on the internet, as well. It was one of their many hobbies. It felt good to sit and pretend they lived the life of privileged beauty gurus who make money regardless of their mistakes.

Alana would always point out why they made the; What they should have done differently. She was so smart. That was part of the reason Connor loved her so much.

Second period was gone in a flash. Both of them loved it, which was strange since physics was difficult for most kids, but by 11:18, they were chatting about string theory in their theatre class. It was slightly annoying to their director, but since it was school work, and there wasn't much to do in her class that day anyway, she allowed it.

Musical theatre went by as quickly as the others. Alana almost forgot what she had been worried about, until 11:33.

At 11:33PM, an announcement came on the loudspeaker to commence lockdown mode.

Right before the power was cut off to the school.

"Connor?" Alana asked, panicked and terrified, sprinting to the corner of the room to find cover. There were no windows. It was dark. She was terrified. "Connor are you.. you're here right?"

"Of course, Al." He sat next to her, wrapping his protective arm around her. "Shh, Calm down." He rubbed her arm. "I'm right here."

But she couldn't.

Screams were heard. Footsteps were coming closer, and the auto locks didn't work do to the power cut. There was intruders and they were helpless.

"Alana," Connor whispered. "Please, be quiet. I'm right here."

Connor's here.

She looked over at his silhouette, breathing out and nodding, closing her eyes in panic. She could hear footsteps getting closer. Shots could be heard. There were screams, and people were crying, and they were all terrified.

And then it happened.

Someone opened the door, didn't turn on the lights, and fired three times before fleeing into the hallway.

Alana screamed, trying to hold onto Connor in his embrace, but in all her panic she hadn't realized the grunt of pain that the boy had let out at the same time as her blood curdling wail.

"Alana."

There was a brief moment of nervousness. She had realized something was wrong. His voice had a terrified edge to it. His grip was weak, and she could tell he was wincing. She could feel it. "Connor." She scrambled for her phone flashlight, turning it on and shining it on the boy.

That was the second scream the girl let out that day.

"Connor!" She cried, tearing off her jacket and pressing it into the wound on his chest. She felt him tense under the pressure, but she wasn't going to let him die.

She couldn't let him die.

"Alana Stop." His voice was weak, his breathing heavy. She couldn't. She couldn't stop because she had to save him.

He couldn't leave her now.

"No, no, no, no. You're okay. I'm gonna take care of you. You're okay." She shook her head, trying her best to keep him breathing.

"You know," he whispered. "String theory suggest there's ten different dimensions, and in every single one of them, I know you'd still be mine."

"This isn't a time fore soppy physics pick ups, Connor. This is your life. Please just... save your energy. I know you love me. I love you."

"Al you and I both know I'm not gonna make it out of this," He wheezed.

"Shut up."

"Alana."

"I don't want to hear it, Connor."

"Alana, tell my family I love them, and that I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. It's okay."

"I'll see you later, Al."

The boy went limp. Alana was stuck curled up next to him. She couldn't save him.