i. a pretty stranger

Kamille Ali's breathing was raggedy and uneven as she raced through the wooden doors of the what-appeared-to-be abandoned garage

Kamille Ali's breathing was raggedy and uneven as she raced through the wooden doors of the what-appeared-to-be abandoned garage. She paused, leaning against the door frame as she tried to steady her breathing and heart rate, as well as look back from where she ran from. Not too far was the sight of her twin brother, Adam Ali, running sloppily towards her, his footing going all over the place; she was surprised he didn't face-plant the ground before joining her side.

"They are around the corner," he got out in between his heavy panting. He was bent down, his palms pressed to his knees as he tried to catch his breath. "We can hide out here and they should hopefully move on."

Feeling a lot better, but still feeling that sense of panic that was permanently fixed inside of her since this new world took over, Kamille nodded and patted his back reassuringly. Even if he was only a few minutes younger, she still took the responsibility of acting somewhat older and comforting.

"Find a way to barricade the doors and I'll check out this place," she told him, following their usual strategy for whenever they found a new, temporary place to hideout.

He nodded and began to shut the large wooden doors. She knew she could trust him not to mess up, so she turned on her heel and began her own little adventure. She pulled out her trusty dagger and raised it, feeling slightly better knowing that she had some form of defence.

Cautiously, she moved forward, inching her way around the shelving that was there. The smell of the oil filled her nostrils, and now that she wasn't running for her life, she was aware of how weird it smelt, causing her to twitch her nose with distaste. The garage itself was about the size of two school classrooms put together, but with a vast church-like ceiling. The sun from outside peeked through the skylight above, casting a golden glow throughout the whole room. The golden glow lit up Kamille's dark hair as she moved about cautiously.

Moving a little quicker this time, she searched the first corner she saw, checking behind a pile of wooden planks for any signs of the infected.

Nothing.

She turned around, still acting swiftly to search the perimeter thoroughly; the last thing she needed was another surprise attack. However, when she moved forward, further into the centre of the garage, she lowered her dagger and defences with surprise.