xxxii. old friend

Kamille was reading late into the evening, using a torch to light her book up in the dark whilst she sat under the stars in one of the fields

Kamille was reading late into the evening, using a torch to light her book up in the dark whilst she sat under the stars in one of the fields. It was peaceful out there, almost making her forget about the impending doom they were most likely to face from Walker and his people.

She had taken some thought, and she'd decided that Walker was terrible for what he'd done. This was their land, yes, but he'd done a lot of wrong things to get it back, including killing Travis when he took down the helicopter.

It was no surprise that Otto's family had stolen it, Kamille knew that. She sympathised with Walker to some extent, but at the end of the day, he had killed someone she cared about. Almost killed Alicia.

Kamille never wished for somebody to die. No matter how horrible they were, she was taught by her parents to never wish death upon someone. Firstly, it was too easy of a punishment, even for the evilest of people. Too quick. But it was also a horrible thing to think. Which is why despite all he'd done, Kamille didn't wish for Walker to be dead. Heck, she didn't even wish for Otto to be dead. She just wished for some damn peace between everyone. Didn't they all deserve that? Instead of constantly killing?

Realising she'd been out in the dark too long, Kamille closed her book and stood up, making her way back to her cabin. On the way, as she shone her torch to light the way, she noticed some ranchers eyeballing her nearby. Deciding it was best to ignore them and hurry home, she sped up her walking and kept her head down.

"Hey, wait!" one of them called, making her heart rate increase nervously.

She ignored them and kept walking, spotting her cabin a short distance away. Only, she suddenly felt someone shove her from behind, making her drop her book.

"He told you to wait," a woman's voice said, as a man picked up Kamille's book.

Kamille turned around to see the three ranchers, clearly drunk and pissed off.