xxiv. love story

When Kamille walked back into the hotel room with yet another scotch-filled glass in her hand, she wondered how Strand had survived this long with all his drinking

When Kamille walked back into the hotel room with yet another scotch-filled glass in her hand, she wondered how Strand had survived this long with all his drinking. Nonetheless, if it made him feel better, who was she to argue it?

Alicia was laying more blankets on Strand when Kamille set his glass down on the bedside table. She took a seat on one of the chairs at the table by the balcony as a comfortable silence filled the air.

"You have excellent bedside manner," Strand spoke, watching Alicia look after him. "Andrés could take a few tips."

Alicia smiled with amusement as she continued to tuck him in. "I volunteered at County USC through high school." Strand groaned as she applied pressure to his bandage and continued, "The nurses taught us that what you don't say to patients is as important as what you do say."

Strand sighed. "For instance?"

Alicia paused a moment, before saying, "I'm not gonna tell you it's gonna be alright."

Kamille took a sip of her own glass of water, distracting herself from her free-running thoughts as Strand breathed out deeply.

"Why on earth not?" he asked Alicia.

Despite Alicia's back facing Kamille, the Brit could picture the frown on her lips as she said, "Might not be."

Strand tried to laugh, but it was hurting more than anything, resulting in a groan. "I changed my mind. Your bedside manner is abysmal."

Alicia released a breathy laugh. "You didn't seem like someone who liked sugarcoating."

Strand closed his eyes. "I don't. Never needed it."

"Same," Alicia agreed, earning the injured man's attention, and Kamille's. "No one did it for me."

"You said you raised yourself," Strand remembered, referring to a conversation that seemed like long ago to Kamille – when they first arrived at the hotel – though it was only a week ago. "What does that mean?"

Alicia thought to herself, distracting herself with Strand's bandage. "Erm... I was helping everyone else. I was doctor to Nick. Detox, withdrawals. And then my dad."