viii. the new girl

Madison and Travis were at the front, driving them all to Strand's beach house, as the teens stayed in the back of the pickup truck

Madison and Travis were at the front, driving them all to Strand's beach house, as the teens stayed in the back of the pickup truck. It was quiet between the four, only the rumbling of the engine sounding around them. Kamille felt awkward.

"So, how is everyone else?" Alicia asked, clearing her throat, finally breaking the silence. She looked between Chris and Nick curiously. "They back at Strand's?"

Nick's eyes cast down before sparing Chris a glance. Chris caught his gaze, returning the look with sad eyes. Kamille didn't know them too well, but she knew that look. Something bad had happened. She glanced at Alicia, seeing the regret in her expression. She knew something terrible had gone down, too.

"Ofelia and Daniel are with Strand," Nick explained, his voice hesitant, holding back. "Daniel didn't want Ofelia out and about whilst her wound recovered. Strand obviously wasn't going to come out, even to search for you. And unfortunately, not long after we lost you..." Nick went quiet, obviously unsure how to phrase his next words.

"She's gone," Chris said bluntly, looking to Alicia. "She was bitten and dad shot her and now she's gone."

Alicia frowned as the Manawa boy looked down to his hands. Kamille tried to pick up on his words. Didn't he have a mum that was travelling with them?

"Chris, I'm so sorry," Alicia said, but Chris merely shrugged and said nothing. His expression was blank.

Nick and Alicia exchanged glances, Kamille noticed. She'd noticed everything as this sad encounter had played out. Noticed Nick's knack for being unable to sit still. Noticed the sad, longing look in Chris' eyes. Noticed Alicia's efforts to make her feel comfortable with each smile she'd occasionally send her way. Kamille felt out of place, though, there in the back of a truck with people she barely knew. Alicia was the only reason she was there.

The remainder of the ride was silent, until finally, they reached Strand's beach house, near the edge of the hillside, overlooking the beach. It would have been beautiful if it hadn't looked so abandoned, Kamille thought. The truck pulled up just outside a relatively large, urban house. It looked very expensive indeed, and Kamille wondered just how rich this Strand guy really was.