xli. close

"You sure you're okay?" Kamille asked for the millionth time whilst patting the blood from Alicia's head

Alicia nodded. "Yes, Kam. It's just sore, but I'll be fine."

Kamille nodded, lowering her hand and inspecting the small cut one more time. Diana had led them to a nearby gang who were willing to take her in and help take a look at her leg. It also gave Kamille and Alicia the chance to check on themselves, with Kamille surprisingly unscathed physically, and Alicia with a small cut on the side of her forehead.

Kamille dropped the bloody cloth onto the side as the doctor, Eddie, began to speak up whilst bandaging an unconscious Diana's leg.

"You set her leg in the field?" he asked, glancing at the both of them.

Alicia cleared her throat. "Yeah. We dragged her here to the bullring."

"You probably saved her life," he admitted. "You have any training? EMT?"

"Was a hospital volunteer since I was a kid," Alicia said halfheartedly. "Helped out with a lot of situations like this... no formal training. Kam was in her second year of university studying Biology. Her parents were doctors."

"Doctors, huh? You wanted to be a doctor, too?"

Kamille breathed out through her nose. "That was the plan. It's a little late for that now, I guess."

Eddie shook his head. "You're both better off. U.S. medical establishment had its head so far up its own ass – the degrees, the licenses, basically worthless."

"You obviously have training," Alicia pointed out.

Eddie shrugged. "Well, sure. I lost my license back in the '90s. Misunderstanding I had with a lady patient. Everyone was so uptight. I was like 'I thought this was California'. Been in Baja ever since."

Alicia looked down to Diana knowingly. "Well, I'd advise against any misunderstandings with our lady patient. She's pretty good with a pick-axe."

Eddie smiled with amusement. "Noted."

It went quiet as both girls looked to Diana, relieved that she'd be okay. Until Eddie spoke up again.