vi. almost there

"

"...they haven't said no," Alicia continued to ramble, mostly speaking to herself. "They don't even know I'm alive..."

Kamille and Adam exchanged glances, deciding to stay silent as Alicia tried to imagine what would happen when she found her family. She'd been non-stop rambling about how she wanted the Ali twins to join her with her family. Of course, the twins knew what it would be like – they just wouldn't be accepted. The world was all about survival, protecting family, not strangers like they were.

"Alicia, come on," Kamille managed to interrupt the younger girl, cupping her hands out. They were cutting through some side alleys and had encountered a gate that was chained shut. "We'll give you a boost."

Adam copied Kamille's hands and Alicia went quiet as she stepped into their hold. She got the boost she needed and was propelled towards the top of the gate, managing to grab ahold of it. She threw herself over the other side and landed ever-so-gracefully on the concrete. Adam did the same with his sister, who followed Alicia's actions. Soon enough, the two girls were safely on the other side.

"The bin," Kamille called, spotting a large waste bin pushed against the wall of what appeared to be a set of flats. "We can push this and help Adam over."

Alicia nodded and helped her push the bin towards the gate. But not without managing to get in a teasing comment.

"It's a trash can, but you do you," she mumbled, a lighthearted smile on her lips.

Kamille narrowed her eyes at the brunette, attempting to mask her amused smile. The two girls almost had a staring competition if it weren't for Adam clearing his throat a bit too loudly.

"Lonely guy on the other side of the fence here," he said sarcastically, waving his hand in the air.

Kamille rolled her eyes as Alicia laughed, and she looked to her brother who was smiling innocently. Kamille ignored the mischievous look in his eyes and jumped onto the lid of the bin. Alicia joined her and the two teens leaned over the gate, ready to catch Adam's hands as he jumped up. With little struggle, they managed to pull him over and the three jumped from the bin with a thud.