ix. the abigail

As planned, the Clarks, Manawas, the Salazars, Strand and Kamille were all on the beach that same evening, ready to leave for the yacht

As planned, the Clarks, Manawas, the Salazars, Strand and Kamille were all on the beach that same evening, ready to leave for the yacht. The sun had set not long ago, leaving the moonlight to light up the beach and choppy waters.

"The Abigail is over there," Travis pointed out, referring to the boat anchored in the distance. "How are we getting to it?"

All eyes were on Strand as he chuckled and smoothed over his shirt. "Ah, did I forget to mention that someone has to swim out and get the boat?"

"Strand, you said nothing about–"

"How did you think we were going to get it?" Strand was quick to cut off Madison and her narrowed glare. "Fly over the waters?"

"And I presume you're not going to be the one to swim over and get it," Daniel inputted, his arms crossed over his chest as he looked to Strand. Kamille could tell that he still didn't trust the conman. At least not as much as he trusted her.

"I got us this far, didn't I?" Strand quirked an eyebrow. "It's tiring keeping everyone safe, Daniel. Exhausting, even." Strand was teasing the older Salazar now, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Well, we need to get there somehow," Ofelia said, sighing. "I would swim over myself, but–"

"You won't do such a thing," Daniel cut off his daughter, any attention on Strand now long gone. "You're still injured, Ofelia."

An amused smile played on Ofelia's lips. "If you let me finish, papa, you would know that I was going to say that I'd swim over myself, but I'm injured." Rolling her eyes playfully, she looked to the rest of the group. "But somebody does need to swim over."

An unsettling silence washed over the group as they all looked between one another, expecting someone to volunteer. Kamille knew nobody would though. Swim? In the dark, frightening, possibly infected-filled waters? Any sane person would stay quiet.

"I'll go," Nick was the first to break the silence. All eyes were on him as he shrugged. "Someone's gotta go, right?"

Strand grinned and set a hand on Nick's shoulder. "Yes, Nick, I knew you were my favourite for a reason."