xxxvii. surprise

It was the next day when the decision was made to put down the rest of the cattle for food

It was the next day when the decision was made to put down the rest of the cattle for food. They were dying anyway, and it was better to eat the meat whilst it was still fresh. So, that lunch, everybody was 'feasting' on the beef freshly cut that morning.

Tensions weren't as high in the ranch, as Alicia's idea to help the Nation try and dig a well allowed for some sort of cohesion, everyone putting aside their differences for a common goal. It didn't mean everybody was skipping around happily, but Kamille appreciated the moment of peace, even for the day.

As Kamille, Alicia and Jake ate their lunch (the Otto boy quieter since he'd lost both of his family members), Nick interrupted, asking to speak in private and claiming it was important.

"Okay, what's up?" Alicia asked when the four of them stepped to the side to talk away from prying eyes.

"Troy was at the house," Nick revealed.

"Jesus Christ." Alicia rolled her eyes with annoyance.

"Yeah," Nick mumbled. "Looked like he hadn't slept in days, I think he's lost it."

"Where is he now?" Jake asked instantly.

"Ran off. Said he wanted to warn us, something's coming. Wanted you to see whatever it is."

Jake nodded, pursing his lips as he thought to himself. Kamille didn't like what Troy had said... something was coming? That could mean a million different things and nothing at all coming from Troy.

"Alright, Madison drove him north, he doesn't know that land," Jake thought aloud. "So he probably followed the sun west to McCarthy's Outpost. Let's go."

Jake began to walk away with determination and the others followed after him.

"Troy is full of shit," Alicia told him, stopping in front of him, stopping him from walking any further. "He's baiting you." She glanced at Nick knowingly. "Both of you."