xxxvi. a clear divide

Kamille leaned against one of the poles holding up the tent as Walker and Madison looked between her, Alicia, Jake, Ofelia and Crazy Dog

Kamille leaned against one of the poles holding up the tent as Walker and Madison looked between her, Alicia, Jake, Ofelia and Crazy Dog. The two of them called for an important meeting regarding the future of the camp, particularly the water supply.

"We want to secure a backup supply of water in case it's a hot summer," Madison was explaining, the two of them packed up for an expedition of sorts. "We'll only be gone a couple of days."

"In the interim, we impose ranch-wide rationing," Walker said.

"We shut off all pumps, irrigation, RV lines and taps," followed Madison.

"Even the one up at the adobe," Walker added.

"So, everyone gets their water from the main well," Alicia clarified, earning their attention.

"That's right," Madison agreed. "Two gallons, per person, per day."

Both Walker and Madison looked between them all, as if waiting for someone to argue against them. No one did, so Walker stood up and approached Ofelia and Crazy Dog.

"We're releasing guns to you and two deputies," he informed them. "Maintain the peace."

Ofelia and Crazy Dog nodded as Jake walked out of the tent suddenly. Kamille watched him leave, him obviously not happy with the arrangements but having no choice but to follow along. She noticed how Madison had slowly been taking his role as leader and figured he wasn't too impressed with that.

"The ranchers won't like that," Kamille said, earning Walker's attention. "The guns, I mean."

Walker glanced at Madison, as if they were partners, and Madison stood up to look at Kamille.

"They'll have to like it otherwise this all goes wrong," she said. "That's why you guys are gonna keep an eye on things whilst we're gone."

Kamille glanced at Walker, who seemed satisfied with Madison's response and turned to leave. Crazy Dog followed after him and Ofelia hesitated, looking between Alicia and Kamille, before following after them both.