xxii. living

Kamille helped Alicia unpack the water bottles onto the counter whilst listening in on Madison and Strand's conversation

Elena and Hector had led them all back upstairs into a safer part of the hotel – a different lobby in a different building, away from the others. They all had time to gather themselves before doing a stocktake of their supplies.

"We should go after Ofelia," Madison said sternly. 

"Which way would you have us go?" Strand questioned. "If she didn't take the truck, we'll find her here... in some state." Kamille tensed up at that, her concern for the Salazar girl growing the longer she was gone. "If she did, she had a destination."

"Or she ran away scared and is alone," Madison retorted. "I made a promise to Daniel."

Kamille and Alicia exchanged glances as they moved onto folding the clothes they'd found. Alicia looked fed up and Kamille hated that she couldn't do anything about it.

"You can forget that one. Focus on what's in the here and now," Strand told Madison.

"I am," Madison said, before looking at her daughter and Kamille.

Kamille pursed her lips as Alicia stared back at her mum solemnly.

"Ofelia chose to go," Alicia said softly. "She didn't think we were gonna make it."

Kamille swallowed hard, hoping that wherever Ofelia was, she was okay. She was going to miss her, especially after not being able to say goodbye. But she chose to leave, as Alicia said. There was nothing more to say.

Madison looked down for a moment, before straightening up confidently. "We will." She walked forward to the supplies. "We are... is this all we have?"

Elena nodded. "Yes. And the guests control the rest of the hotel. The food stores."

Madison furrowed her brows. "Is that a lot?"

"Dried goods, canned goods, yes," Elena said with an unamused smile, "it's a lot. Enough for months. But these people want us gone... they still want me dead."