xxxi. unsafe

"She'll be fine, Nick," Kamille said, arms crossed as she looked out to Madison who was packing the truck with Troy's militia

"She'll be fine, Nick," Kamille said, arms crossed as she looked out to Madison who was packing the truck with Troy's militia. "She can take care of herself."

"I don't trust them," Nick mumbled, also staring out at them all. "She thinks she needs to prove herself, earn our place–"

"Doesn't she?" Kamille questioned, looking to Nick. "She said it before. If this is where she wants to protect us, she needs to do it right. We all do."

Nick sighed, looking to Kamille with annoyance. That's how Kamille knew she was right. He only ever gave her that look when she was right.

"Hey."

The both of them turned to see Alicia approaching them, looking tired and grumpy, but otherwise okay. Kamille hadn't see her since dinner the night before.

There had been a fire during the night, one of the cabins burning into flames and causing quite the commotion as it woke everybody up. That's when they all left the cabin to see what was happening, and when Kamille realised Alicia was at 'Bible study' once again.

"Nice to see you're alive," Nick joked dryly, distracted by Madison still.

Alicia rolled her eyes as she looked to Kamille, who looked the other way, not having anything to say. Who was she to tell her girlfriend to stop partying all night?

"Mom!" Nick called out, before nudging Kamille to follow.

The three of them headed to Madison, who had finished packing up the truck and was now meeting them halfway.

"Feeling a little rough, 'Licia?" Madison asked, noticing her daughter's dishevelled appearance. "Party all night, you gotta pay the price."

"Never again," Alicia mumbled, allowing her mum to pull her in for a quick hug before parting.

"Mom, you don't have to do this," Nick said sternly.