ii. trusting the pretty stranger

Kamille could feel the shift in moods now that they had a solid plan

Kamille could feel the shift in moods now that they had a solid plan. Helping Alicia honestly didn't seem so bad to her, and she knew her brother felt the same since he rarely disagreed with her.

"Since we'll be travelling together, I guess we should stay here for a few days," Adam suggested, earning Kamille's attention. He was talking to Alicia. "You know, so you can rest your ankle."

Alicia nodded, her eyes flickering between the twins nervously. Kamille knew it would take time for them to all fully trust one another, but by the time they got her to her family, she knew everything would be proved.

Kamille watched her brother take a seat opposite Alicia, on the floor, the can of beans in his hand now. She joined him, sitting cross-legged, and wondered how things would play out. Her brother seemed curious as he looked up at the teen.

"So where did you come from?" Adam asked as he played with the spoon in his hand.

Alicia glanced between the two of them before replying with, "L.A. I was with my family – my mom and brother, and Travis, my mom's husband. There was also this other family..." She paused for a moment, thinking, before adding, "The Salazar's. When people started getting sick, the military came to my neighbourhood. Started 'taking care of us'." She chuckled dryly as she recalled the events. "They were just saving their own skin. Long story short? Everything went to hell really quickly and my brother ended up in some facility. The whole place was overrun and we all barely got out."

Kamille's eyes were wide with surprise as Alicia finished her story, and she turned to see if Adam was just as shocked as she was – sounded like she'd had a hectic time. However, she was met with a puzzled expression from her brother.

"Wait, Kami, wasn't there a place the other day? Military, horde of infected, near the stadium?" he asked, obviously trying to remember something, but Kamille was clueless.

She raised an eyebrow, not following.

"Oh, come on," he pressed, and Kamille saw his eyebrows knitting together as he grew frustrated that she didn't remember. "That place we passed! There were infected everywhere. Just after we came through the city."