xx. one step behind hope

Strand was driving them all back to the shore, back to the Abigail

Strand was driving them all back to the shore, back to the Abigail. He hadn't said so, but Kamille knew it was where they were heading since it was the only place they had left.

Ofelia had stopped her sobbing soon enough, leaving all three girls in a painfully loud silence in the back of the truck. Kamille was still trying to grasp how quickly things had burned down – quite literally – back there. Everything was gone for those people. Daniel was gone. She was still shocked with that one. He was tough as hell and to go like that...

Then Nick disappeared which was just as surprising. Kamille couldn't understand how he'd chosen to leave his family. If no family, then what? Madison must have been distraught having lost her son because he chose to leave. And Alicia... she hadn't uttered a word as the sun rose in the morning sky and they neared the coast.

So much had been lost in such a short amount of time. Now they had nothing but the clothes on their backs left to work with. It was stupid, really, for Kamille to miss the backpack that she'd brought along with her. It had obviously burnt in the unexpected fire, and lots of people had actually died so she felt stupid to miss a backpack. But it was the backpack she'd had since the start of this mess. The one she'd carried when Adam was still alive. Her books were in there. Her medical notes were in there. It was kind of the last thing she'd had that was from the old days and now it was gone.

She shook her head and breathed out. She'd have to move on and focus on what was happening next.

After driving for an hour or so, Strand began to pull up the truck on a cliffside overlooking the ocean where the Abigail should have been docked. Key words being should have been.

"No...," Strand said, jumping out from the truck and running forward to search for the yacht. "No..."

"Where the hell did it go?" Alicia snapped as she jumped out of the truck.

Ofelia, Kamille and Madison joined the two as they took in the scene. The yacht was gone and the only sign it was ever there was the raft on the sand that they'd sailed in on.