xiv. baggage claim

Convincing the 'adults' to allow the 'kids' to investigate the abandoned luggage proved to be a challenge at first, but Kamille knew it would benefit everyone as soon as they got their hands on the essentials

Convincing the 'adults' to allow the 'kids' to investigate the abandoned luggage proved to be a challenge at first, but Kamille knew it would benefit everyone as soon as they got their hands on the essentials. Daniel accompanied them, as he offered to, and they were all soon sailing towards the island on a zodiac.

Madison had made herself very clear with what they were allowed to bring back onto the yacht. She'd requested only the necessities be carried, such as warm clothes for them all, medicine, canned foods – the usual. They all knew what needed to be done – Kamille, Alicia, Nick, Chris and Daniel – but the only one that seemed to actually be focused was probably Daniel. Kamille was itching to reach shore and stretch her legs away from the yacht and she figured the others felt the same.

When they reached the shore, they worked together to pull the zodiac out of the water and onto the sand. Tightening the straps on her backpack, Kamille moved forward with the others, taking in her surroundings. There was discarded luggage sprawled all over, some opened up with belongings scattered around and others locked shut with padlocks. There didn't seem to be any immediate threats, but Kamille found her hand resting on her sheathed dagger, well, Adam's dagger, when she spotted the dead bodies.

They were rotten and burnt-to-a-crisp, residing beside the remnants of the crashed plane and half dug in the sand. Kamille pressed her lips together at the tragedy that had obviously occurred previous to their arrival. Flies buzzed around the bodies, betraying just how long they'd been there for and Kamille found herself covering her nose for a moment, the smell becoming too much to handle.

"Okay, let's be quick." Daniel sighed, looking around. "Everyone where I can see you. Fill your bags, come back."

Kamille, Alicia, Nick and Chris glanced at the dead bodies once more before continuing their walk up the sand, away from Daniel. Kamille tried to ignore the fact that they were about to 'steal' from dead people and followed the others, readying her bag.

Looking through luggage proved to be mildly entertaining, since people packed the weirdest of things when travelling. Finding a beer helmet and (to her embarrassment) a vibrator made Kamille momentarily forgot that these belonged to dead people, and in fact, made her move to search a different bag entirely.