xiii. a loss is a loss

Kamille kept quiet, though she saw the longing, distant look in Alicia's eyes

Kamille kept quiet, though she saw the longing, distant look in Alicia's eyes. The Clark girl was drawing a rose in the shape of a heart on a sign-in register, similar to the one she adorned on her forearm. The two girls were at a bird watching site on the island, taking a morning stroll before they would have to leave soon.

Alicia didn't speak of Matt very often – the boy who'd stolen her heart and drawn the tattoo initially, but Kamille knew it was because she didn't know how to. It was a sensitive topic for her and she knew that Alicia must have truly been in love before he was taken from her. She pitied her as she watched from a distance, seeing the forlorn expression on her face.

Kamille chose not to comment on Alicia's addition to the sign-in board, figuring it was a private moment for Alicia. If she wanted to talk about it, she would, and after everything she'd done and shared with Kamille, she deserved this inkling of privacy between her and the boy she loved. Instead, Kamille sat on one of the plastic chairs outside of an abandoned café.

Alicia joined her soon enough, taking a seat on another plastic chair. They didn't speak at first, but Kamille knew she was thinking the same thing as her. How beautiful this island once was. It must have drawn in many tourists from all around and Kamille understood why. Now it felt so empty. Alone.

"Adam would have liked it here," Kamille finally spoke, her voice quiet and careful, afraid to break the peaceful silence. "The island, I mean."

A ghost of a smile appeared on Alicia's lips, a signal of agreement. "He seemed like the type to appreciate things for... well, how they are."

Kamille smiled a little. "Yeah. He was."

The lapping of waves on the shore sounded complimented the seagulls' song in the sky, resonating peacefully within Kamille. This was wonderful. A lovely contrast to sitting in the yacht all the time, not that she was complaining. The morning sun looked stunning as it glistened on the waters and Kamille realised how amazing nature looked when she wasn't viewing it from the confinements of a yacht.

"Do you think there truly is a safe place on land somewhere?" Kamille asked, tearing her eyes from the distance and to an even better view of Alicia.