xix. so much for a fresh start

Kamille knew it was a dream

Kamille knew it was a dream. She knew it wasn't real. But the gun in her hand felt as heavy as it did the day she shot it on the yacht. Her memory was coming to life and haunting her in her subconscious, she also knew that. But that didn't make it any easier to live through a second time.

She tried to do something different, tried to warn Madison that the man who they thought was dead wasn't, and that he would leave her with an impossible fate if Madison didn't move fast enough. But it was to no avail because Kamille was trapped in a third person perspective, watching as she, herself, grabbed the gun and aimed it at the man.

The shot went off and rang so clearly that Kamille thought it was real. She woke with a start, her heart beating erratically and her skin glistening with sweat. Catching her breath and trying to steady her racing heart, Kamille looked around and realised that though that had actually happened, though she'd actually killed someone, the second time was a dream. She didn't spend much time losing herself in that tragic thought because her ears were still ringing from the gunshot and that's when she knew it was real.

Kamille pulled the covers off her and listened in, realising people were shouting and running in the distance. Something bad had happened and all Kamille could care about was whether Alicia was safe. She'd stayed with Madison tonight, the two aware of Chris' threatening behaviour lately and–

"Chris!" Kamille gasped with realisation, before jumping out of bed and pulling on her shoes quickly.

She tried not to overthink the worst possible scenarios – surrounding the idea of Chris somehow getting ahold of a gun – as she legged it to Madison's bedroom. The door was slightly ajar in the dark hallway which made Kamille rush forward uneasily.

"Alicia? Madison?"

"Kam, you're okay!" Alicia said with relief, before rushing forward and hugging the older girl briefly.

"God, I thought something had happened," Kamille said, glad that Alicia was safe. "Where's Madison?"

Alicia seemed shaken as she said, "She's gone to check what's happened."