xxxiii. what you deserve

A whimper escaped Kamille's lips as she gently touched her swollen eye

A whimper escaped Kamille's lips as she gently touched her swollen eye. She was looking in the mirror, inspecting the injury, and hated what she saw.

Her left eye had a purple bruise forming on it and a small red cut healing on her eye lid. It hurt when she touched it, which made blinking extremely painful, but she had nothing to do except wait for it to heal and wish she had an ice pack.

A knocking on the front door of the cabin pulled her away from the mirror and she headed to the door to see who it was. Naturally, she rolled her eyes when she saw it was Jake.

"I don't want to hear it," she said, already moving to close the door, but he blocked her.

"Please, I have to explain," he pleaded. "I'll be quick, Kamille. You don't have to speak to me, just please let me say something."

Kamille felt her anger bubbling up inside of her as she stared at him. All she could think about was how he let Alicia stay at Walker's. She asked him for one thing – keep her family safe – and he did the very opposite. She so badly wanted to shut the door on him, but she also wanted to hear what he had to say.

Saying nothing, she stepped to the side to let Jake in. He nodded gratefully and walked inside. Kamille closed the door and followed him in, seeing him stand by the window nervously.

She waited by the bunk bed, body tense and arms crossed as she watched him.

"I shouldn't have kissed you," he started, making Kamille sigh as she dropped her crossed arms.

"Jake–"

"No, wait, please," he stopped her, seeming preoccupied as he tried to string together a sentence. "I shouldn't have kissed you, Kamille. I knew that you and Alicia were together, and you've told me how much you love her. Even if you didn't, it was clear. Everybody can see it."