xxxv. a really racist high school

The sun shone down brightly on the ranchers who stood by the front gate, watching as Walker's people had their trucks parked out front

The sun shone down brightly on the ranchers who stood by the front gate, watching as Walker's people had their trucks parked out front. It was moving day, and from the looks of it, people weren't happy.

Kamille, along with everyone else, watched Jake interact with Walker, the two exchanging unreadable expressions.

"Here we go," Alicia mumbled from beside Kamille, looking on at the exchange.

Kamille looked ahead, noticing Ofelia sat in one of the trucks up front. Their eyes met accidentally and Kamille pursed her lips, still angry at her for what she did.

Many had died because of the anthrax poisoning and many more were still in recovery, including Jake. It was all because of Ofelia, and Kamille didn't care what the circumstances were. Ofelia wasn't the same person she remembered her to be, clearly.

Walker looked back to his people and waved his hand, signalling for them to come through. One by one, Walker's trucks entered the camp and Kamille noticed the discomfort upon many of the ranchers' faces. She couldn't foresee how this would go down, nor what a joint ranch with Walker's people would consist of, but she knew it wouldn't be long before something went wrong.

"I'm going to see Walker in with Jake and the others," Alicia said, grabbing Kamille's attention. She looked to her as she added, "I wanna keep an eye on things. You coming?"

Kamille looked back to Walker, who was joining Jake and Madison nearby. Ofelia was heading that way too, and Kamille looked back to Alicia, shaking her head.

"I need a break from all of this," she told her honestly. "I'll help out in the kitchen or something. Walker's people are gonna want breakfast, right?"

Alicia sensed Kamille's reluctance and nodded, squeezing her hand before pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"I'll see you later?"