v. the truth about survival

Once the three teens had left the shopping centre, they hadn't stopped running until they could no longer see it in the distance

Once the three teens had left the shopping centre, they hadn't stopped running until they could no longer see it in the distance. When they were sure they were out of reach from anyone who could be chasing them, they decided to stop and catch their breath.

"That was bloody insane," Adam said, being the first to speak in between breaths, and he looked between the girls with worry.

Kamille glanced at Alicia before sucking up a deep breath and pulling her brother in for a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she breathed out with relief, savouring the warmth. "We couldn't find you and we thought everything was going to be–"

"Let's not think about it," Adam cut his sister off, a tired smile on his lips. He glanced at Alicia and opened his other arm, signalling for a hug.

Alicia had caught her breath back too, and she seemed relieved as she joined Kamille in giving Adam a hug. The three shared a brief moment, revelling in the fact that they were safe and alive.

"Thank you for saving us back there," Alicia spoke once they'd pulled away from the hug. "I'm so glad you're okay... wait, have you got a black eye?"

This caught Kamille's attention and she immediately looked up to study her brother's face. Alicia was right. His right eye was swelling up slightly and Kamille had seen enough black eyes to know this wouldn't take long to start bruising. She touched it gently, only for Adam to flinch and bat her hand away.

"I got into a fist fight with the guy when he found me, but it's all right, I'm fine," he explained, before flashing a smile at the two girls. "Honestly."

Kamille exchanged a nervous glance with Alicia before nodding reluctantly. There wasn't much she could do now, and it could have been worse, so she accepted the consequences and was thankful nobody was severely hurt.

"I just can't believe people have stooped that low now," Alicia grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest. "It's disgusting."