x. left behind, almost

The sun was high in the sky after breakfast, warm on Kamille's neck

The sun was high in the sky after breakfast, warm on Kamille's neck. Nonetheless, she had a jacket on, tugging the sleeves over her hands because of the cold winds sending chills up her arms. She was sat on the deck, Alicia beside her, both of them admiring the sea spreading around them.

Kamille had never been in a boat before, let alone a yacht. She'd always wanted to go on a cruise, or even a small boat trip with her family, but she'd never found the time to ask. If she wasn't completing schoolwork, she'd be hanging out with friends or reading. Family holidays hadn't really been a thing in her family, what with her parents working most of the time. It didn't bother her – she couldn't miss what she'd never experienced – but she'd be lying if she said she didn't feel slightly jealous when one of her classmates would come back after the summer with a fresh tan and new adventures to share. Being on the yacht, despite the circumstances, was calming. Her own adventure.

Breakfast that morning hadn't been particularly eventful and Kamille accepted the normality with open arms. It was like a sigh of relief to just be able to eat breakfast, even if it was with people she didn't know. Nobody was in a speaking mood and Kamille could tell that they were all lost in their own thoughts, probably thinking the same thing as her: where were they going?

Victor Strand hadn't been present with them that morning, but rather stuck on the top deck where the yacht's controls were. He hadn't shared of any plans with any of them and nobody wanted to ask, but Kamille could see Madison was growing impatient. All of the adults were. Whether it be their eyes flickering around uncomfortably or their fingertips dancing on the railing restlessly, it was obvious they were stumped with what to do next.

The irritable tension in the air suddenly switched as Strand finally appeared, calmly descending the stairs from his little hideaway. Some eyes turned his way – Madison, Daniel and Nick – but Kamille and Alicia remained looking ahead. Kamille heard Alicia sigh as she rested her head on her shoulder. Kamille simply rested her own head on top, the both of them looking at the blank, choppy waters.

"Shouldn't you be up there?" she heard Nick ask Strand from behind.

Strand had that smugness to his voice that Kamille couldn't help but roll her eyes at. "The boat will tell me if there's an obstacle."