xxxiv. the wrong side

A rancher was throwing up – another of several in the past hour – and Kamille grabbed a wet cloth, going over to them to set it on their head

A rancher was throwing up – another of several in the past hour – and Kamille grabbed a wet cloth, going over to them to set it on their head. The rancher breathed out shakily and relaxed at the coolness.

After the night's attack, a lot of ranchers had died, and the ones who hadn't had filled the infirmary to the brim. There were so many casualties that a second temporary infirmary had to be set up, a large tent with beds and medical supplies hastily put together. All through the morning, Kamille and Alicia were helping Jake and a few others in that tent as other ranchers gathered the dead outside.

People in the the infirmary were dying, turning every other hour, and had to keep getting shot to prevent them escaping their handcuffs. It was horrible, dirty, hands-on work, but there was no other choice.

Madison had caught Ofelia last night, but all they had discovered was that she'd put some sort of powder in the coffee at dinner, targeting the militia. The whole story of her being beaten up for being a traitor was a lie – it had been a plan the whole time.

Kamille couldn't understand how Ofelia had wanted to hurt everybody as easily as she did. There was a time that they had lived together, stuck together like family and looked out for one another. But it was as if she'd forgotten about all of that and stuck with her new family at Black Hat.

Kamille looked up when she heard somebody else throwing up, seeing it was Nick. It was terrifying bringing him in, seeing him look so fragile and weak as he struggled to breathe. Over the night he had somewhat improved. From what? They weren't sure, and neither was Ofelia, but they were trying their best to make him feel better.

The Brit approached his bed, noticing Alicia standing by him with some water.

"How are you feeling?" Kamille asked, trying to hide her concern as she pressed a hand to his sweaty forehead. He was burning up.

"A little better," he lied, making Alicia and Kamille both exchange knowing looks.

Suddenly, Madison burst into the tent with a ghostly expression on her face. She'd been helping out that morning, too, before leaving impulsively without telling anyone where she was going.