xxxviii. no place is safe

Kamille leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, counting to ten in her head

Kamille leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, counting to ten in her head. She tried to block out the sound of infected pounding on the pantry doors, the sound of everyone fretting over one another, the sound of those crying over losing loved ones. She tried to block it all out and collect herself. There was no time to cry, feel, mourn. She had to be strong.

When she opened her eyes, she saw Alicia in between two shelves, grabbing a box of juice.

"Let me help," she offered, approaching her girlfriend hesitantly as to not startle her. It seemed that Alicia was stuck in her own thoughts also.

When Alicia's eyes met Kamille's, all Kamille wanted to do was disassociate from everything and hold her. Her heart was aching and it only felt worse when she saw the panic swimming in Alicia's eyes.

"Kam–"

"I know," Kamille said, licking her dry lips. "Come on."

Both girls began to hand out the juice, hoping it would reassure the alarmed ranchers. Alicia ran out and went to get another box as Kamille finished handing out hers.

"Guys, over here," Ofelia called, grabbing both girls' attention.

Kamille followed Alicia to the other side of the pantry, where Crazy Dog and Ofelia were standing.

"We've got a problem," Ofelia said quietly, pointing to the air vent above. "There's nothing coming through."

Kamille breathed out through her nose, trying not to panic, as Alicia stepped forward and raised her hand to see if she could feel anything, but she couldn't.

"This place is sealed," Blake said, appearing out of nowhere. "And it wasn't designed to house this many."

"There must be another way of getting air in here," Crazy Dog said, shaking his head.

Blake looked to him regretfully. "That vent is the only way. Without that..."

"We run out of air," Alicia said aloud, voicing everyone's fear.