xvii. mum knows best

As planned, Madison returned with Strand not long later

As planned, Madison returned with Strand not long later. Kamille was in the captain's quarters with her, wrapping him in blankets to keep warm. He'd been shot and left in the icy waters – he was lucky to be alive. But he would live. Kamille had tended to his wounds since Daniel was busy with Reed, and Madison aided her in silence. Until:

"I can do thi–"

"I'm okay, I can do it," Kamille cut off Madison, finishing wrapping blankets around Strand.

She knew the older woman was hesitant to let her help after what had happened earlier, but Kamille couldn't just sit and wait or she would be forced to think about it and the fact that Alicia was still in danger.

"Okay," Madison said, offering a small smile.

Kamille finished wrapping Strand up as Daniel headed up the stairs.

"How is he?"

Madison sighed quietly. "Got a ways to go."

Daniel rubbed his head anxiously before speaking. "Connor is their leader. Our prisoner is his brother. This provides leverage. So we're now looking for a cluster of five boats."

Kamille joined the two adults by the monitor and watched as Daniel pointed to a spot on the map.

"Here," he said. "These five near the coast. Could be fishing boats. They tend to travel together."

Madison nodded and seemed to be taking it all in.

"So we can go and get them," Kamille said unsurely. "We have Connor's brother. We could exchange them."

Madison and Daniel glanced at Kamille with a look of confirmation before Madison took the wheel and steered them in the right direction. They were getting them back.

"Qué es esto? Why are we heading North?" Luis stormed in with confusion. "Turn it back."

Madison didn't look up. "I'm sorry, I can't do that."

Luis was agitated. "Señora, I made arrangements. Do you understand? We're gonna miss our window to crossing–"

"We're not crossing anywhere without my family," Madison snapped.