iv. like fairy dust

It was another day of moving forward, avoiding infected and trying to get closer to the coast

It was another day of moving forward, avoiding infected and trying to get closer to the coast. The three teens were making good time and hadn't faced anything risky. Alicia's leg was holding up, much better than the previous day, and the twins were growing more and more comfortable around the brunette.

Maybe that was why they had to get their bad luck later that day.

"Well, this isn't good," Adam mumbled as the three came to a halt in the middle of the street.

Kamille knitted her brows together as she took in the scene. Abandoned cars had littered the streets on their journey so far, but this was different. There was no way around, as cars and large trucks and vans had been positioned purposely, piled on top of one another, to block anyone from moving forward. Obviously whoever had done this was making their point clear: no entry. On top of that, there was a horrid stench filling the air, making them all scrunch up their noses.

"We'll have to find a way through," Kamille said, her eyes already fluttering around the scene, trying to devise a plan. Her gaze settled on a truck and she moved forward. "We may be able to climb up here? Go over rather than around?"

Adam and Alicia followed closely behind, but Kamille could sense their uncertainty.

"I don't know, Kami," Adam said with unease in his voice. He had the top of his shirt pulled over his nose now, obviously affected by the rotten smell. "Whoever did this obviously doesn't want us to go over. And it smells like dead people. That's never a good sign."

Kamille stopped studying the truck and turned to see Adam and Alicia staring back at her with discomfort. They both seemed tense, tired and disgusted at the stench of dead.

"Just give me a sec," Kamille decided, before climbing onto the bonnet of the truck and up onto the top. She felt their eyes on her the whole time.

Kamille glanced behind her, seeing Adam keeping watch for something. He was worried, that much was obvious, but Kamille knew he couldn't stop her trying. She was always determined. She caught Alicia's gaze before she turned around, and noticed the same worry etched in her expression, too. Kamille steadied herself before turning around and standing up straight.