xxi. unwelcome check-in

Kamille and Alicia waited out the infected lingering outside their hotel room door, with only distressing thoughts to accompany them

Kamille and Alicia waited out the infected lingering outside their hotel room door, with only distressing thoughts to accompany them. If they weren't worrying for Madison and Strand, they were worrying for Ofelia, and if they weren't worrying for Ofelia, they were worrying for their own safety.

Infected were still crawling about outside, and Kamille noticed Alicia would glance over the balcony to see them moving about below. The sky darkened and eventually they were in darkness, trying not to freak out – a task growing increasingly difficult for Kamille.

"What are you doing?" Kamille asked Alicia with confusion.

Alicia was looking through the peephole of the door. She moved back, startled, before pulling a knife from her pocket and scratching a notch on the wood of the door. A tally of seven was there now.

"When did you make those marks?" Kamille asked, not having noticed her doing that before. "And where did you get that knife?"

Alicia breathed out shakily before turning around to face Kamille. "I've been trying to count how many are out in that hall. We may be able to get through them if we know what we're facing."

Kamille nodded, marvelling at how clever Alicia was.

"The knife was something I stole," Alicia added, before avoiding Kamille's eyes and mumbling, "when Jack took me... I stole it when I escaped from him and have hidden it since..."

Kamille saw how awkward Alicia felt when talking about the Jack situation – she probably still blamed herself. That felt like such a long time ago now that she thought about it, even though it was probably only a week or so ago.

"You never cease to amaze me, Alicia," Kamille admitted with a small smile.

Alicia smiled bashfully before returning to the door to look out the peephole again. Kamille stood up from the bed and reached for her dagger, instant reassurance spreading through her at its presence. It was stupid to feel safe because of a weapon, but Kamille knew that was just how it was.

Some time passed, with Kamille distracted by the infected snarling outside their balcony and Alicia distracted by the infected snarling outside their door, when Kamille decided they needed to move.