xxviv. staying for them

"

"...she broke her arm in two places, but she never cried. Charlene embodied the spirit of this place, an always-ready, never-quit, get-it-right-this-time spirit."

Kamille sat beside Alicia as this rancher, Pat, was giving a speech at Charlene's – Otto's goddaughter's – funeral. Charlene had been attacked by the dead after the helicopter went down with Jake and Alicia.

The Clarks and Kamille sat a few rows back, along with other residents of the ranch, as Charlene's mother stood at the front of the tent.

"And she would have," Pat continued, pausing, before hesitantly adding, "if she wasn't risking her life for the unprepared."

The bitterness in Pat's voice hung in the air like a sour smell, her eyes staring at Kamille and the others with disgust. Murmurs were heard amongst the residents, and a few eyes even looked their way. Kamille tried not to meet anyone's gaze, feeling discomfort from the negative attention.

Jake, who was sat the front of the tent behind Pat along with Otto and Troy, seemed to notice the silence, so stood up and smiled at Pat.

"Pat, thank you," he muttered, patting her on the shoulder as she moved to sit down.

Kamille glanced at Alicia to her left, meeting her green eyes and uncomfortable expression. It was awkwardly quiet as nobody knew what to do next, until Madison decided to speak.

"Hello," she started halfheartedly, before standing up and looking at everyone. "I just want to introduce my family. I'm Madison Clark and these are my children, Nick and Alicia." She motioned to both of them before motioning to Kamille. "That's Kamille, a close family friend. We wanted to offer our condolences for Charlene, and for the others you lost."

The three of them stayed quiet as Madison spoke, knowing she was planning on doing something like this today as she had mentioned it the night before.