xxvii. broke jaw ranch

Kamille flinched as the soldiers tightened their grip on her arms, dragging her behind Travis to somewhere behind the labs building

"They stop eating their victims after a while," Willy was rambling, and Kamille wanted to clock him in the face. "Did you know that?"

She wrinkled her nose at the scent of the dead, a strong wave overcoming them all the closer they got to where they were going.

"Something else we discovered. Blood goes cold and they just kind of lose interest. Of course, then you turn. See how that works? Undead procreation."

They were led past some weird-looking stable, the ground becoming muddier when they approached a dug up pit. Half of the pit was full of infected, fenced off in a snarling, drooling, gruesome bundle. The other half had, maybe, eight or nine infected, walking about groggily, unable to escape from the depth of the pit.

The soldiers began to shove Travis forward, attempting to push him into the pit, and Kamille tried to shake out of her own guard's grasp when she realised what was happening.

"No! Don't do this!" she screamed, trying to get free so she could help Travis, but Willy merely laughed as Travis was finally shoved in, landing on his face.

Travis jumped up instantly, forced to be aware of his surroundings and fight back. Kamille gasped as the infected began to take notice of him, turning to him hungrily.

"You can do it!" Willy cheered him on sarcastically. Travis shoved forward at the closest infected, nailing him to the ground before smashing a concrete brick on him. "There you go."

Kamille shivered at the laughs coming from the soldiers holding her, forcing her to watch Travis fight for his life in a bloody pit.

"Gladiator-style that shit, man! Get creative!" Willy shouted to Travis.

"Please, let him out of there!" Kamille yelled to Willy desperately. "He'll die!"

Willy ignored her and watched as Travis eyed the infected by the fence. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" he teased, watching as Travis lunged forward to the infected, pressing it to the fence before stabbing it in the head with a sharp rod.