xviii. no more running

Kamille was heading back to her room when she bumped into Ofelia on the steps down

Kamille was heading back to her room when she bumped into Ofelia on the steps down. The Salazar girl seemed as if she had some things on her mind as she muttered an apology before trying to move on.

"Hey, Ofelia, you okay?" Kamille asked, tugging at her sleeve before she could leave.

Ofelia was chewing on her lower lip as she glanced at Kamille. "Yeah..."

Kamille raised an eyebrow as if to say she knew that was a lie. She'd been eating away at her own thoughts since she'd left Alicia to get ready, so she knew how it felt not to have someone to speak to.

"It's just– I can't stop thinking about the whole Chris shooting Reed thing," she admitted, crossing her arms protectively.

"You think he shot Reed on purpose," Kamille stated what she could clearly tell Ofelia was thinking. "A murder."

Ofelia didn't respond, but when she frowned, Kamille understood.

"I just feel a bit uncomfortable," she confessed, reluctantly. "Don't you?"

Kamille scratched her neck nervously. "Honestly, I haven't given it much thought. But now that you mention it, it is strange... He wouldn't though, would he? I mean, why would someone want to kill someone else? No matter how much of an arse they are."

Kamille couldn't help but wonder this fact. She'd killed, she knew the feeling of ridding someone's right to live. She'd had no other choice, but she knew she would never choose to kill someone, if she could help it. Chris surely couldn't have wanted to kill Reed... Yes, he was an arse, she'd experienced that first hand, but if she could have helped it, she wouldn't have killed him for it.

"I'm probably just overthinking it." Ofelia breathed out. "I think I'll be okay. Thanks, anyway."

She smiled with reassurance before turning to head upstairs, but now Kamille felt uneasy.

"Hey, Ofelia?"

Ofelia paused and glanced over her shoulder. "Yeah?"

Kamille hated to have doubts about someone she was sharing a space with, but nonetheless, she stared up at Ofelia with concern. "Be careful around Chris, yeah?"