23

Iris's P. O. V.

*1 month later (August)*

"Zach are you coming to Wes's doctor appointment later?" I asked laying in bed.

"Yeah, we have a meeting but I'll be there."

"You sure? I can go alone."

"Yeah, I'll be there. Don't worry."

He zipped his pants and finished fixing his hair. Soon, he was out of the house. I got out of my bed and went across the hall to Wes's nursery. I realized that he was a deep sleeper and never woke up when Zach and I were getting ready.

I lightly moved his shoulders and his eyes blinked multiple times. I smiled picking him up out of his crib and carrying him to his little changing station. I got him dressed and all ready for the day with no trouble.

I held him on my hip until I walked to my room. I put him in his bouncer thing while I got ready. I wore some plain jeans with a white tank top. I slipped on my vans after brushing my hair into a ponytail.

"Ready to go Wes?" I asked grabbing a few things for me, my phone, keys, and songbook because I need to start writing more. Wes responded by laughing and bouncing up and down.

I went and picked him up and buckled him into his carrier. I grabbed his diaper bag and passed my dad downstairs. I told him goodbye before taking Wes out to my car.

After I realized I had forgotten some of Wes's paperwork, I drove back home and got it. It's a good thing I left a bit early. I drove to the pediatricians office and signed Wes in.

Even though Wes was born 10 months ago, the doctors give him checkups from his original due date. That makes Wes four months old, which calls for a checkup.

I went and sat down placing Wes's carrier on the floor in front of me. He played with his toys making cute little faces. I smiled every time I looked down at him from my song book.

Meghan had told me that if I didn't produce any new music soon, the record label would drop me. I took that wake up call seriously, and had written four new songs in the past month. It's like the whole time I was worried about Wes, my songwriter brain never stopped and it saved up all my ideas.

I was going back and rereading through my lyrics. I had four completed songs and one that I was still working on. If I finish this song I can release an album.

My newest song meant a lot to me. It was basically about body shaming and people, women specifically, not supporting each other. I loved the chorus that I had, I just needed to tweak some things on the bridge and verses.

I looked around and saw only one other person in the waiting room. She was here before Wes and I. That still meant that we'll be called back soon and Zach wasn't here yet.

I texted him three times and waited for an answer.

"Stuck in traffic. I'll be there in 5" he responded. I sighed putting my phone away and putting my attention on Wes. I took him out of his carrier and held him on my lap, playing with him. He giggled and laughed, warming my heart.

The mom and baby in front of us were called back leaving Wes and I alone in the waiting room. I took out his favorite stuffed animal, his koala, and began playing with him.

"Wesley Herron?" A nurse called. I stood gathering my stuff and walked back with the nurse. I was frustrated because Zach wasn't there.

I texted Zach telling him he was late. He profusely apologized, but I ignored the repeated buzzes. The nurse took us to a room and told us to wait for the doctor.

Pretty soon the door opened and the doctor walked in with Zach behind her. They were laughing about something.

"Wesley Herron?" She asked looking at me. I nodded and Zach came over and kissed my cheek.

She began the checkup doing multiple procedures to him.

"You two are lucky. He seems to be a very easy baby," the doctor commented.

"Hopefully he'll stay this way." I chuckled.

"Wes will be getting three vaccines today. Two are shots and the other is oral."

Wes was easy through the whole process, until he got to the needles. He started screaming and squirming. I guess the needles reminded him of the incubator and his time in the hospital. She told me what to do and how to calm him down. It worked just enough for her to give him the shot.

After the checkup, I scheduled his next appointment and Zach and I walked outside.

"Jack dropped me off, so let me drive you home," Zach suggested knowing that I hated driving.

"You don't have to kiss up because you were late Zach. I know your meetings are unpredictable."

"Still, I wanna drive."

"Okay, but I want ice cream."

"Then let's get ice cream." He laughed.

                           *****

A/n

Guys I am so so so so so so so incredibly sorry I haven't updated in like a week. I completely understand if you guys hate me. It was a struggled to even get this chapter up, and it's not even that good.

If you haven't stopped reading this book bc I suck at updates, thank you! 😂😂 it means a lot. I hope you liked it and I promise there will never be this big of a gap between two chapters again.

Vote and comment! Love you guys!