25

Zach's P. O. V.

"Iris! Iris!" I saw her eyelids close and I knew we were in trouble. Jack had already dialed 911. I took Wes in my arms and followed as Jack carried Iris over to the ambulance.

A crowd started to form, but I wasn't worried about them. Jack hopped onto the ambulance and told me to meet them at the hospital. I nodded, quickly running to Iris's car.

I buckled in Wes and revved the engine, speeding out of the beach as fast as I could. On my way out, I saw what had made Iris freak out. Jesse Willis.

I don't know when, or how, he was released from prison. But it happened. Otherwise, he'd be surrounded by cops.

I almost "accidentally" ran over him on my way out, but the thought of Wes, and Iris waiting for me in her hospital bed, kept me under control.

Daniel's P. O. V.

Jonah, Corbyn, and I watched in confusion as Jack and Zach were leaning over Iris. We stayed in the water, but sprinted out when we saw the ambulance show up. We saw Zach run with Wes to Iris's car, so we ran to ours and drove to the hospital.

When we got there, Zach and Jack were pacing in the lobby. Iris's mom, who somehow got to the hospital before us, was sitting in a chair holding Wes.

"Guys, what happened?" Jonah asked.

"Jesse was at the beach."

"What? How?"

"I called our friend from the police station. He said he was released about two weeks ago for good behavior."

"Good behavior?" Corbyn asked.

"How did that bastard get out for good behavior?" I scoffed.

"I don't know. But we're filing a restraining order as soon as possible," Zach explained.

"We don't want him anywhere near us," Jack added.

"Iris Watson?" We all turned our heads at the sound of her name.

"Is she okay?" Zach asked stepping forward.

"She is stable, there are no health issues, it seems that she was just overwhelmed. Did something happen for her to hyperventilate?"

"She saw a guy who hurt her in the past."

"That would explain it. She is in fact awake now. We'll start with immediate family, then we'll let the rest visit."

Her mom and Zach, who was carrying Wes now, made their way back to the hospital room.

"Is Iris okay?" We turned back and saw Jesse standing there.

"Get the fuck out!" Corbyn exclaimed.

"This happened because of you!" Jack fired.

"Please, just let me explain!"

"There's nothing to explain, you sick asshole," Jonah said sternly.

"You're right, I am sick. That's what I'm trying to say. The only reason I did what I did is because I'm not healthy."

"That doesn't make it okay," Jack said.

"I know. But I really do care about Iris."

"How did you even get let out this early? You were sentenced five years, and were there for less than two years," I asked.

"They shortened my sentence to three years, and then I got released for good behavior. I'm getting help, I'm really trying to get better."

"So why are you here?"

"I told you, I care about Iris."

"Well she passed out just because she saw you across the beach," Jack scoffed.

"I did that?"

"Yeah, you idiot. You hurt her. Physically and mentally," Corbyn replied.

"I'm really sorry-"

"Sorry doesn't cut it," I interrupted.

"Just please give me a chance to see her, let me talk to her. I need to apologize," he begged.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" Zach asked, walking up behind us.

"Zach, I'm really really sorr-" he was cut off by Zach's fist colliding with his jaw. He stumbled back, holding his cheek And Zach went in for another hit.

I debated on whether to stop him or not, but when nurses started walking over, too, I knew he had to stop. Jonah and I pulled Zach off of Jesse and tried to calm him down.

"I guess that answers your question," Corbyn said as nurses took him to a room to clean him up.

"What did he say to you guys?" Zach asked. You could tell his blood was boiling.

"He wanted to see Iris-" I started.

"No way."

"He said he wasn't healthy. He's getting mental help, but he wants to apologize," I said, ignoring his interruption.

"He must be crazy to think he can just show up out of no where and expect to see her."

"It's not up to you, Zach. If Iris wants to see him, you have to let them talk."

"Jonah, she passed out because she saw him. You think she'll want him in a room with her?"

"I'm just saying. No need to get all defensive and shit."

"The nurse said you guys can come see her. Do not say a word about Jesse," he warned. We walked back to the hospital room and saw Iris in her bed. She gave us a small smile when we walked in.

Iris's P. O. V.

"Mom, how could he had been released early?" I asked. I was holding Wes in my lap and talking to my mom while Zach went to get the others.

"Zach and I called the police station. They told me they shortened his sentence, and then agreed to release him for good behavior, as long as he went to see a therapist."

"Yeah, he's crazy."

"He is. I don't remember what, but they diagnosed him with something. He's getting help, but they said one thing the therapist tells him to do is apologize for his mistakes."

"So that's why he was at the beach?"

"Maybe."

I saw Zach through the window of the door. My mom and I stopped talking about Jesse. It was not a good idea to talk about him in front of Zach. I smiled at the guys and told them that I was fine. Zach came and sat in the chair next to me.

As we all talked, I absentmindedly thought about what my mom was saying.

Do I want Jesse to apologize? Could I even handle being with him? What happens if he does apologize? Will he try to come back into my life? What if he goes crazy again and does something to Wes? No. What if's are the last thing I need right now.

I kissed Wes on the head and took Zach's hand in mine.

                                    *****