48(Part 1)

*3 years later*
Iris's P. O. V.

It was Zach's idea. To get married at his parents house. He said he didn't want a huge venue. He wanted the wedding to feel like home, because we were each others home. He wanted to get married in the same place he proposed.

It was the cutest thing anyone could've ever thought of. We had stayed with his family for New Years that year, a holiday that was always special to us. Just like with his promise ring he gave me three years ago, he took me outside on the playground and gave me the ring right after midnight. I couldn't have imagined anything better.

"Come down the slide," he said as he stood at the bottom.

"There's like an inch of snow." I laughed.

"I'll catch you." I sighed before sitting down and pushing off of the structure. I slid down and when I got to the bottom, Zach caught me with one hand. In his other he was holding a small velvet box.

"I caught you, just like I promised I would. I decided to do this the same way I gave you that promise ring. I did it because, I don't want anything to change between us. I want us to love each other and live the same way we have. I'm proposing, just like I promised I would eventually. So, Iris Elaine Watson, will you marry me?" He asked. I already knew I was sobbing. I nodded and he slipped the ring on my finger just before I pulled him on top of me attacking him with a kiss.

"So she said yes?!" Reese yelled from the patio.

"Of course!" I yelled. We both walked over to her.

"I got it all on video. I can't wait till you're my sister!" She said hugging me.

He proposed in January and we decided to get married in April. The weather was perfect for a wedding. You'd never know what Texas would decide to do with the weather, but I guess it decided to side with us.

I was in the master bedroom with my bridesmaids surrounding me. They were helping with my dress and hair and makeup. Kayla was my maid of honor. She was a little upset to hear that Daniel was Zach's best man.

They had broken up two years ago. Kayla was casted as Juliet for her school's musical of Romeo and Juliet. Daniel was already uncomfortable with the fact that she'd have to kiss another guy. It made it worse that the guy had feelings for Kayla. He wanted to rehearse outside of scheduled rehearsals. Kayla was nervous and wanted as much practice as she could get, since it was her first lead role in college, so she agreed. Daniel showed up to surprise her and found them making out. It was all part of the scene, but Daniel was convinced it was something more than that. He could just see it from the way Romeo looked at Kayla. Everyone could see it, except for Kayla.

They hadn't spoken since then. Zach and I almost purposely planned it that they would walk the aisle together. Everyone wants them back together, and they've admitted that they miss each other. Kayla has too much pride to go back to him and Daniel is convinced she's moved on. But he won't think that for long.

Unfortunately, their relationship wasn't the only thing that had died. Last year Cole had escaped prison. He made it all the way to California and had a fun time harassing us. He kept begging my mom to meet him somewhere alone to talk about what happened. My dad wouldn't let her go alone, and that came with consequences. As soon as Cole saw my dad sitting in the driver's seat of the car that my mom stood in front of, he pulled out a gun. They tried to save my dad, but they couldn't. You'd think that we learned our lesson from our experience with Jesse, but I guess not.

My mom had brought a gun of her own and shot Cole in the leg. They sent him back to prison, promising that he'd be locked up for good. It was a terrible time for my mom and I, but we had to get over it. We both had lives to live.