38

Iris's P. O. V.

"Zach! Have you seen Wes's koala?" I yelled from Wes's nursery.

"Didn't he have it last night?" He yelled back. I switched Wes to my other hip and continued looking.

"It's not in his crib!"

"I'm coming!" I saw him jogging into the room. We started tearing the room apart trying to find his toy koala. He can't sleep without it.

"Do you have everything packed?" I asked him.

"Yeah, do you?"

"No. Wes is packed, though."

"Let me take him, you go pack." Zach took Wes from me and continued looking.

I finished packing a few more outfits and my toiletries. Jonah and Andi were coming to pick us up in about an hour.

I decided to double check Zach's bag because I knew he'd forget something. Of course the boy left out his deodorant and extra socks. I went to get some and put then in his bag. As I was moving stuff around, I felt a velvet box at the bottom. I gasped at the feeling. I took it out of his bag and looked at it.

"Hey Iris!" I jerked my hand back into his bag. "What are you doing?"

"You forgot deodorant. And socks."

"Oh, my bad."

"Did you find it?"

"I sure did." He brought the koala from behind his back.

"Thank goodness! This would've been the worst trip ever without it."

"I set Wes down for literally two seconds and when I looked back, he had it in his hands." He laughed.

"He was hiding it," I joked.

"Is everything else packed?"

"Yeah, we're all ready." I grabbed my bag and Wes's bag before going to the living room.

"Jonah said they're down the street," Zach said coming into the room, too.

"Okay. I'm gonna get Wes's seat out of the car."

"Already got it. It's by the door." Zach smiled.

"Thank you," I said giving him a sweet kiss.

We heard a car honk and made our way outside. Jonah helped us with our bags and the car seat. Soon, we were on our way to a cabin in Forest, California.

                           ***

"Daniel, did you invite Kayla?" I asked. We had been in the car for an hour, but Daniel and Jack had been a little antisocial. Corbyn had changed plans last minute, he was flying out to New York to see Christina.

"I invited her, but she said they're performing 'The Princess and The Pauper' so she needs to be close by for daily rehearsals."

"That's too bad," Andi joined in. "I'd really like to meet her."

"She's great." Daniel smiled. "She's an actress and she's just an amazing person."

"Really? I love the theater. I mean, I could never get up on stage but I love watching."

"I've seen some pretty great shows."

"What about Nicole?" I asked.

"I don't really know. She's been kind of distant lately."

"She seemed fine at Christmas," I said.

"Yeah, I don't know."

Jonah and Zach had to pee, so we pulled over into a gas station. I took Wes inside to stretch our legs out. I ended up buying some drinks and a snack for the six hours left of the drive.