31

Iris's P. O. V.

"Thanks for coming with me. Zach wouldn't let me drive myself."

"He's just worried about you," Daniel explained.

"I know, but I could've driven myself to Kayla's."

"He just cares about you too much. He doesn't want you to be alone right now."

"But I don't want Kayla alone. He was like the overprotective brother she never had. Until him and I broke up. It just ruined everything. Kayla didn't want to pick sides, but she ended up picking me. I just hate that I ruined their relationship. And I have to be the one to tell her."

"It'll be okay."

***

"Iris, Daniel. What are you guys doing here?" Kayla asked opening the door to her apartment.

"Nice to see you, too," Daniel scoffed with a smile.

"Sorry, that's not what I meant. I've missed you guys!" She gave me a hug then kissed Daniel before bringing us into her home.

"We need to talk," I said once we sat down on the couch.

"I'm gonna let you talk alone, so I'll be in your room," Daniel said standing up and leaving the room.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"You know how I broke my leg in that car accident? And it was Jesse's car?"

"Yeah..."

"I made a plan with Zach and the police. I'd meet Jesse alone at a park, and when I gave a signal, the police would come and take him back to the mental hospital. I just wanted him to be safe again."

"Did it work?"

"No." I felt myself start to tear up. "Before the police could get to him, h-he killed himself right in front of me."

She responded with a gasp. "He what?"

"I tried to stop him, I r-really did. B-but I wasn't enough."

She didn't say anything. She just sat there with an empty, emotionless face. I knew she wouldn't cry. She usually wasn't one to cry, even in the worst situations.

"I just...I just wish I could've talked to him. Sure he did some terrible things, but he was like my brother," she said finally.

"I know."

"Is there going to be a funeral?" She asked

"I doubt his dad will plan one. Maybe just you and I could do the burial. We could invite his sister, too."

"Let's do that soon." She put her head on my shoulder. I pulled her close and hugged her tight.

I saw Daniel come out of her room. When he spotted us hugging on the couch, he hurried over and sat on the other side of Kayla. He wrapped his arms around the both of us and he kissed Kayla's head.

"It's gonna be alright," he whispered.

                             ***

Kayla and I talked to the nurses at the hospital, the police, and several funeral directors. We finally got everything in order. We'd bury Jesse in the cemetery his mom was buried in.

Just as we thought, his dad didn't want anything to do with the grave side funeral, but his sister did. Leah was fourteen. Even with the age gap, Kayla and I made sure that we were all friends. Jesse appreciated it, since Leah didn't have a mom to talk to anymore.

Zach and Daniel came with us to Utah. Jesse's body was driven down as well. We had a very small ceremony in the cemetery. His sister and Kayla crying the most. I felt like I was out of tears. I couldn't cry anymore.

It wasn't until the coffin was actually six feet down until I really started crying. I turned to Leah and we both hugged. Kayla joined with us and we all cried together.

"Thank you for doing this," Leah said after we had calmed down.

"Of course. We didn't want you to go through it alone," Kayla told her.

"I just wish I could've done something to save him," I admitted.

"It's okay. He's in a better place now. We don't have to worry about his health anymore."

Leah softly smiled and hugged us again. She thanked the guys for coming as well, then hopped into the car that would take her home. I felt terrible for her. She showed up to the funeral with bruises all over her body. Her dad must've been drinking. Jesse always said he loved them, but he was a different person when he was drunk.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" Kayla asked. We had noticed she started to limp as she walked to the car.

"I hope so. I'm sure your mom would let her stay in your room a few days if she needed to. And she has friends. She's never locked in at home," I said trying not to think about what that man could've done to her.

"You're right." She wiped her last few tears before taking Daniel's hand. We all walked back to Daniel's car.

The sun was already setting and we drove from L. A., so Kayla's mom invited us to stay at their house. We drove to her house and they welcomed us in.

"Zach and Iris you can have the guest bedroom. Dinner will be ready soon," Kayla's mom said after hugging us all.

We all went up the stairs to our rooms and unsettled. I changed into more comfortable clothes and so did Zach.

"How are you feeling?" He asked plopping on the bed. I sat next to him and ran my hand through his hair.

"I don't know. I just want to eat and then sleep. I don't wanna think right now," I sighed.

"Then let's go eat."

We went downstairs just as Kayla's mom had put the food on the table. We all ate and then went back to our rooms. I showered and then got into bed. When Zach came back into the room he slid underneath the covers next to me. He leaned over and kissed me then rubbed my back until I fell asleep.

                             *****

A/n

😭😭 I'm so sorry for not updating!!! I am literally the worst, I know. I hope you liked this chapter though. Vote and comment!

GUYS WE HIT 30K AHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE Y'ALL