Chapter 21 - A Broken Kid.

"It's nice to meet you both." I smiled swallowing trying to calm my nerves.

Both Bonnie and Charlotte wrapped me into a Hug and we exchanged warm greetings.

"You don't know how ecstatic i am to finally be grandmother.!" Bonnie grinned holding both my hands in hers as she grins at me. " And when Ross said it was twins, My God! My dentures flew out."

I chuckled at her excitement. A bit longer than I should because I didn't exactly know what to say since...it's not like Ross and I are together and exactly planned this.

"I'm excited as well! I'm nervous of course... But I'm excited." I smiled back. Glancing at Ross to see his cheeks being pulled by his aunt as he swore under his breath.

"And how has my son been treating you, is he being a gentleman?"

My eyes shifted to Ross for a second before turning back to his mother.
" He's been...helpful. I mean we're not together so obviously things are different, specially since he's a Jack- So cold." I switched my words, not wanting to disrespect her son to her face.

"Oh honey, I love my son. But trust me we all know we can be a jack ass at times." She said squeezing my hand before shuffling to the kitchen.My eyes widened.Charlotte hot on her tail, talking about how long the ride was over
And she's starving.

Ross narrowed his eyes at his mother's back before shaking his head slightly before turning to me.

"Hungry?"

I stared at him a few seconds, which apparently was too long because he walked away.

Rolling my eyes I tried moving falling forward a startled scream escaping my lips before with a speed almost humanly impossible Ross catches me.

"Holy..." I murmured. My feet heavy as Ross helped me  down on the sofa.

"Everything okay?" Bonnie asked coming out of the kitchen.

"Damn it Laura, do you have to be so goddamn clumsy all the time!" Ross roared ignoring his mother.

I bit my lips feeling my eyes prick with tears. "My feet are swollen, I'm sorry." My voice small like a child when scolded by a parent as I looked up at him through thick lashes.

"Ross do not shout on her! it's an accident. Pregnant women"s feet swell all the time. It's normal." Bonnie spoke up coming between us.

"An accident that could lead to my-" he cut himself off. Taking a deep breath before marching out.

Bonnie sat down besides taking my feet and lifted them unto the table. "Here you need to keep them elevated."

"Thank you." I smiled before it slipped for my face. "Is he really always like that?"

She stared at me a second before shaking her head. "Ross.....was a very troubled child. When I found him in the orphanage...he immediately refused my husband and I. " She said " And first, I didn't understand why. Why was this fourteen year old so closed off and cold..... Back then,at fourteen he was adorable with chubby cheeks, a few freckles and blonde hair that fell in front of his eyes like a curtain and didn't bother to move. i later found out that was because he hated speaking to people."

"That plus his attitude made me so drawn to him, I wanted to help this child and i had began to love him so much. But I knew that this kid was hurt. He was tossed from foster home to foster home. Bullied, the older kids called him names because he didn't talk much and so the beat him up and did horrible things to him, which all together made him stop talking for a while."

"It took a while. But eventually my late husband and I, got threw to him. To the center of it all. He couldn't understand why his parents didn't want him, why they kids didn't like him....what did he do to them? And that broke me to see such a young boy carrying so much burden and pain."

My heart ached at this. At the reasons why that handsome man was the way he was. And as much as he was an ass, I felt my heart yearning to comfort him.

"Then we found out someone was sexually assaulting him, and that was the last straw. I adopted him and my husband and I brought that orphanage to dust. Had all the other kids transferred to another orphanage and we moved to America with Ross where he could start fresh."

This was news to me. No where in the research i did before I interviewed Ross stated that he had been sexually assaulted as a child.

"trust me it was hell to get that piece of information out of him. Being a teenage boy, they're harder to get through to than most girls.... But it literally tore me apart at that. "

"Then everything was fine....of course the usual adolescent rebellion and hiccups but at least he was safe am loved and yes it was hard for him at first but he eventually grew to love us back."

"So its not you. Ross just genuinely doesn't speak much and is closed off -not only to strangers- based on scars from his childhood making it hard for him to trust people so it's not you. then they're the fact that...Francine..." She began but held back.

"What is it, who is Francine?" I asked softly staring at her. Curious and intrigued at what she was going to say.

She looked at me "He hasn't told you?"

"Told me what?"

She shook her head "I've already said too much... Plus that's Ross' story to tell....I'm sure he will some day."

She shook her head again before turning to me and taking my hands again. "I didn't tell you this as a reason for you to tolerate Ross' nasty attitude and disrespect from him. But merely for you to understand." She said "I also understand that you're not together but you're having his babies....and we've only met for an hour a few minutes  but I trust to....enough to tell you something most people don't about him. And the reason for that is I believe you'll save him."

"Save him?" My eyes widen at her statement. Confusion written all over my face

"Yes. Laura, and I also think you two where meant to be. After all fate does work in mysterious ways. Even if it's making two drunk twenty three year olds have a one night stand and getting pregnant."

" I don't think its fate I think fate. I think its ways the liquor and our hormones."

She smiled wisely at me "You could be right....or I could....I guess we may or may not ever know."

---------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on this Chapter and Ross' Childhood.

Comment & Vote