Chapter, 19

Everything seemed to be faded away. Whatever happened remained unknown to me.

It seemed that someone had blurred my memory or more worse taken it.

Focus Elsa, focus.

I put my elbows on the table and laid my head down.

Just because of this thought, I couldn't sleep whole night. And now my head ached as if someone was hitting me continuously.

I had to prepare my assignment about the current progress of our mission, including the clues we have found to the clues that might be expected to be found but I couldn't because of the vacancy of my brain. But I had to and if I wouldn't, Marie would kill me.

Busy in my own thoughts , opening and shutting sound of the door entered in my ears and I raised my head. My tiring eyes landed on the entering figure and what came in view was Leo, holding a cup of coffee.

'You look like shit.' He greeted as he sat on the table.

'I know because I can't REMEMBER!'

He adjusted himself on the chair and raised the lid of his laptop laying on the table as he took a sip from his cup. 'Just try to think sequentially.'

'I can't. I have talked to Dr Madison and even Jake. They both don't know what was something that I need to forget.' .

'Okay then, keep on thinking.' He says and becomes busy in typing.

'Leo, come on.' I groaned.

'I can't help you with this one Elsa.' He declared.

At that moment, I just wanted to dig myself in a hole and die.

I thought of continuing my work as it helped me lessen my frustration. We both exchanged some topics as we discussed out mission.

'Is this enough?' I asked him as I yawned.

'I think it is.'

'We're not even near to complete it.' I said.

'We will. One day or other.'

'I'll drop this to Marie,' I outstretched my hand.

'Okay. Here you go.' He printed the papers and tied them in a file as he handed it over to me.

'What will you be doing?' I asked him.

'I dunno,' he shrugged, 'maybe hang out with Chloe. She's been asking me a lot.'

My stomach churned just as he told me his plans. Hang out with Chloe? 'Okay then. I'd go.'

'Do you want me to drive you there?'

'No I'm fine.'

'Are you sure?' He reached forth and touched his fingers to my forehead and butterflies exploded in my stomach. 'You don't have any more headaches?'

'No, I-I'm fine.' I stuttered as I slid my chair back.

'Keep your phone charged!' He yelled as I rushed out of the room.

Not awkward at all.

As I sat on my bike, Leo's words rumbled in my mind. How he found me using the tracker on my gun and knife and how worried he was, even though didn't want to admit it.

Putting my helmet on, I raced to beverly hills where lied our headquarter. Driving to Romeo street, I reached the parking area of the Channel shop.

Pushing the glass door open , I didn't bother talking to our fake receptionist but walked towards the wooden door with the sign staff only hung at it.

I remembered when Jake first brought me here and me being too scared. I almost thought I had been kidnapped and that my life has ended but who knew, it was the beginning of my new life.

I pushed the door open and after a passage of about 10m , I reached a sliding metal door which open automatically allowing me to step in the world of machines. There were mazes drawn where people were working as if it was an issue of life and death for them.

Passing through all of them, I reached the reception where a lady in her mid forties ,was sunk in her computer. I cleared my throat and her half moon spectacles struck on her crook nose of her long face came into view.

She instantly recognised me and gave me a warm yet bright smile.

'Elsa, my dear. How are you?' Her fruity voice entered in my ears and tucked the corners of my lips up.

'I'm well, thank you Ms Zoe.' I replied. 'Can you please tell me if Marie is in her office or not?'

'Yes, she is.'

'Ok, thanks.'

I walked to her office. Standing in front of her office, I knocked on her door.

'Come in.'

With her allowance, I walked into and didn't even bother to greet her. I sat on one of the chairs and chilled myself out.

She was checking some papers. Her hair were tied back into an elegant bun and her whole body was covered in a white suit. A ring in her finger moved as she continued signing some papers.

She looked up with a cold look similar to mine on her face.

'Yes?' She asked.

'This.' I slid the file towards her.

'You completed it?' She sounded surprised.

'Not yet. But I will soon. Incase you forgot, I was kidnapped yesterday.' I told her cooly.

'I have not forgotten.' She said. 'How are you now?'

'Seriously? Sometimes I doubt if you really are my mother or not.'

Her pale blue eyes lifted up to me. 'I don't think so any doubt should be left.'

'There is.' I declared. 'A lot of doubt and it won't be there if you stayed with me.'

She took her glasses off as she looked up at me. 'Elsa, I'd prefer you to not judge me on a knowledge you do not have.'

'I spent ten years living with that bully! As a replacement of my father.' ' I yelled. 'Can you even imagine how hard it was for me?'

'I can and I am sorry for it.'

I scoffed. 'Do you think apologising would fix everything? I got you back after eleven years and then here I am, killing people without even batting an eye. Look what you have made me?!'

At this, she lifted her head up and her eyes turned so cold that I shivered. Something clicked in my mind. Those cold blue eyes. That nose. Those lips. I had seen them. Not just at her office, I had seen them somewhere else too. 'What else did you expect from me, Elsa?'

'A better life.' I said as I stood up and walked out, trying to calm myself down.

As I closed the door, a thought appeared to me. Such a thought I wish had never. I remembered what I was to forget; my own mother had kidnapped me.

********
Please vote and comment and make me smile.

huzailazahid.