Chapter, 26

With our sweet agents behind me, we all entered in Marie's conference room.

It was a room with numerous chairs lines beside a two long tables that stretched across the end of the room. The two table faced each other and in the middle of them, was multimedia.

We all sat on the chairs. I drank the water from the glass as I waited for Marie. Soon she entered and we all stood up to greet her.

She, as usual was poised and competent. Wearing her sky blue suit, her hair tried back in a sleek bun, her personality spoke authority. For a moment, I forgot she was my mother; the one for whom I cried myself to sleep. Who left me to that gruesome uncle of mine, never minding for an explanation. Who made me believe she was dead when she was there, watching me. Just thinking about these things, rage bubbles in my chest like a lava ready for a massive explosion.

Blinded by rage, I forgot that I was the only one remained standing. It wasn't until Dave kicked me under the table to bring me back to reality.

Embarrassed, I bit my lip and sat down.

'I am sorry for calling you all so urgently but I think there are a few things that we all need to discuss.' Marie started as she stood in the middle of the room. 'I am utterly disappointed to inform you that I am not receiving the result I am expected you to give me.'

We all frowned, but say nothing as we knew in which direction she was going. 'I am quite definite you all are enlightened about what am I talking about.' We stay quiet again. Seeing our reactions, her brown eyes dulled to black but she remained calm.

'I am sorry Marie,' Jake was the first one to spoke. 'We just wanted to have some fun.'

'Fun? Agent Anderson, I hope you can understand your job is not the one to yield you fun. People are trusting you with their lives while you all decide to go and party, thinking I won't perceive.'

'I am sorry.' Jake, squirmed in his chair, said again but Marie's rage only built up.

'I want no apologies!' She slapped her hand on the desk. If I wouldn't b trained, I would've jumped. 'I want work. From all of you or I will dismiss you.'

'Marie, it was just a party,' Dave started. 'We all are working pretty hard here so we got tired. I am sure we will give you the result you want.'

'Do not give me this excuse, Agent Sebastian. Tiredness should not be a reason used in here. I have been amassing enough carelessness from your Badge. By tomorrow, I want your reports on your missions with advancement.'

My heart just fell in my stomach. Tomorrow? But we have reached nowhere. Of what would I give her the report?

My eyes caught Leo's who was just looking at me already saying the same look: we are doomed.

***

When Marie left the meeting room, I expected a commotion but nothing happened. As per routine, everyone just left for their work while murmuring incoherent words.

When we were making to the exit, I turned around and rushed to Marie's office instead. I slowed down my speed when I passed the public area and gave a brief nod to the man who first gave me a weird look but after my nod, continued working.

Just as I was to bring my knuckles to the door to knock, it bursted open. Gladly, I was behind the door so Marie didn't really see me standing there. I immediately hid behind a pillar as I watched her looking back, doubting if someone was there.

She turned around and continued her journey. With each step, I followed her but waited as she exited the Headquarter. When few minutes passed, I swept my eyes across the room one more time and I, like a dog, followed her.

As I was to pull the door open and exit the headquarter to follow her, a palm came over my mouth from behind and pulled me back. Without waiting for a single second, I bent forward, throwing the person in front of me. I was about to punch the person when I saw the face and I stopped dead in my tracks. 'What are you doing here?' I whispered.

'What do you think?' Dave grunts. 'Can't you like, not react on impulse for once?'

'No. And what are you doing here? I thought you left.'

'That,' he points at me as he stands up, 'is a very good question but I do not have an answer.' I remain silent and simply narrow my eyes. 'Alright. Stop with that stare. I saw you here and you seemed kinda distracted so I thought I should ... like, I don't know,' he scratched his neck, 'I did that.' I huffed as I saw Marie's car getting lost among the sea of other cars. 'What's wrong? Were you on a mission or something?'

I looked at him, battling whether I should tell him about my suspicions. 'Listen, Dave,' I but my lip. Is this the right thing to do? Is this mature? Or should I first get a good proof? 'Nothing. Did you see Leo?'

'Oh he? He was in a hurry too. Said I should drop you home.'

I frowned. 'Hurry? What happened?'

'Dunno.' He shrugged as he fished his car keys out of his jeans pocket. 'You want to come?'

One hour later, I was sitting in our library, with the cursor blinking on the blank page, mocking at me. Why would you at a report? Can't we just tell you we caught the criminal? 'Urgh.' I groaned as I lay my forehead on the table.

The soft chime of the bell brings me our of my