Chapter,35

'Jake?! It's you? Oh shoot I'm sorry.' I said and instantly freed him from my capture. He checked his jaw and crawled back to lean his back against the wall. I kneed beside him with an apologetic look on my face.

'Why the fuck are you so strong?' He exclaimed and brushed off the dust off his shirt.

'I'm really sorry. Didn't know it was you.' I apologised again. 'What were you doing out there?'

He instantly looked up as if not sure what I just asked. His eyes were swollen and didn't seem to belong to him at all. The innocence and impeachment in his eyes evanesced and the only remains were the blankness and coldness hung somewhere in the middle. His face was sunken and bags  circled his eyes. Some fresh cuts and bruises decorated his face.

'I—' he hesitated and threw his gaze at ground. 'I—today's your birthday right?'

I simply nodded eager to know the reason.

'Well I wanted to wish you.' He said so quickly and hesitantly that it took me a while to comprehend the meaning.

'Jake seriously? You could've come in.' I said. 'Why didn't you? And why on Earth were you running away from me?'

'Because you told me to 'go' remember? You told me to go away from you.'he said and paused.

'You chose him over me Els.' Even though he explained the previous affairs but his Jarred tone hurt me. 'I thought I meant something to you but no! I was wrong! I was fucking wrong!' His voice broke and it hurt me more see him breaking like this.

Just as I offered my hand for assurance , he stood up immediately. 'Jake I had to do it.' I tried to reason with him. 'You didn't see his rage, did you? He would've killed you.'

'Then why the hell didn't you asked him to go away? Why me Els?' He tone grew harsh and broken. 'I was more hurt Elsa. I wanted your help but rather you asked me to go away.'

Guilt paralysed me hindering me to respond. I couldn't respond. What would I say? I didn't even think at that moment why I didn't ask Leo to go away? Why I didn't even help him? Perhaps because I needed Leo more than Jake. Perhaps my feelings pulled me to him.

'Answer me.' Jake interrupted me in my thoughts, bringing me back to reality.

'I don't have any.' I murmured.

He snorted. 'Yeah. How could you have? How can you accept that you're falling for him? Right?' Jake said and his ruthless tone brought unshed tears to my eyes. I knew it. I knew there was a attraction between both of us but having my feelings poured into words seemed way too odd. 'Is he even worthy your feelings?'

I looked up to his blurry face due to my tears but I pushed them back. Crying was my least favourite weakness. 'What do you mean?' My voice came as a hoard.

He jerked his head to a side clenching his jaw. 'What do I mean? Els he was a fucking player. A asshole who slept with each and every girl when they sent him for your protection. He bullied you to hell. Hurt you in each and every way. Made fun of you.'

'It was his mission.' I told him but he shook his head.

'Marie gave him two options. Either to protect you while being your lover or being your bully and guess what he chose? Bully. Cause he had that bad boy aura. He protected you less rather used other girls. Do you even know Leo was supposed to bring you here but he fucking put you in danger by letting you go. He never loved or liked you Els. You're just wasting your fucking time and feelings.' A tear slipped down my cheek and my insides broke into pieces.