Chapter,24

'You cheated!' I exclaimed.

'Hell no! I just made it up by myself,' Austin shouted.

'You googled it! I saw you!' I shouted back.

'Elsa who on earth would cheat in scrabble?' Austin replied amusingly

'You would.' I squinted and said. I looked at Justin half expecting he would take my side. 'Didn't he Justin? He cheated right?'

But Justin merely looked at me and rather concentrated on the signals his twin brother was trying to sent him through his face expressions. He cleared his throat after realising my gaze on him, 'I think that he was just checking his phone Elsa.' He stated.

'I really don't know why the heck I started playing with you two who can't even complete a word without googling it,' I said and heaved a sigh.

'That's called the use of technology Elsa.' Austin said.

'This game has rules of not using technology Austin. Why not give a little push of that little brain of yours?' I said and started packing up the game. We had been playing since one hour and each time they googled each and every word thinking that I can't see. Naturally their constant wins arose the curiosity in me but I remained silent desperate know how would they trick me next time.

'Mah life mah rules,' Austin said and I laughed. When I repacked the game , our laugh dissolved in the clucks of a person's shoes'. It was Dave.

He stumbled around in the kitchen and sat down beside Justin right in front of me. Austin and Justin gave each other a let's -get -outta -here look and walked up to Leo who was sitting on the sofa with his headphones on and currently working on his laptop. Jake was sitting at the far corner of the sofa and was watching tv curiously.

I didn't know how to handle the awkwardness that waved in  my body for the first time in front of Dave. My rage had cooled down a bit yet my hurt still mingled in between. Having no idea of what should I do , suddenly I felt my phone in my pocket and took it out. I turned it on but gazed at the home screen on which my 7 year old self was there holding my mom's hand as she rested her head on my Dad's shoulder. Dad's arm was around mum's and all of us was smiling broadly at the camera. It was my favourite picture of all. As it seemed a normal picture.

'Elsa I- I . . .' He stopped abruptly and I looked up at him only to find the colour drained out of his unshaven face , the bags under his eyes darkened which felt as if his expressions blanked out. He was still looking at the kitchen island, either waiting for me to say anything or to find words. I sat there, thinking of what should I do or say. His look told me everything. He was affected the same way I was. Yet it hurt to see him like this. He was my brother or more than that but why I can't say anything? I , at that time felt truly weak.

'Hey guys look! Isn't it a that billionaire's mansion?' Austin called and I looked at the time relieved about the change of subject. It was a video of the outside of mr. Micheal's mansion. Yet it was not like the one it should've been. There were guards. A lot of them marching in the front yard with a alerted posture. I moved towards the sofa. 'Blimey! The mansion's ruined. It was so cool before.' Justin said.

The headlines were changed and the news caster recited ' And brave police once again succeeded in catching two of the dangerous serial killers which caused massive fear among the people. In addition to that, a drug dealer-smuggling the drugs and a burglar were released free of charge as no confidential proof could be presented . Now let's move on to the weather report. L.A will suffer more rainfall. . .'

There was a complete silence but soon it was broken. 'Hey Elsa you're free tonight?' Jake asked me as he shut the T.v off and turned around. He was still not well. His scars and cuts decorated his face and his blond hair were a tone darker as if he had not wash them. I simply looked at him and before I could answer Leo interrupted, ' No she's not.'