Chapter #39- Counting Losses, Saying Goodbyes and Meeting Bas Jr.

Song- Sia - To Be Human feat. Labrinth 

"We'll be paying our respects to our dead at noon tomorrow" Alpha Ashton announces and everyone gathered in the ground nods grimly.

It's nearly midnight and all my pack members and everyone else who fought in the war from our side is back, and we (except the ones those who lost someone in the battle) are all gathered in the ground that stretches outside the pack house. I wish I were allowed to stay inside and grieve with the others for their loss too. Their loss feels like my own loss.

We won, or at least that's what I saw all while I peeped via my mate's mind. Right now though, Alpha Ashton is taking a meeting. Sorta.

"No offense, but I don't think those Hyenas deserve any of our respect" Mel grits out. Blood is oozing out of the gash she has on her forehead and trickling down her forehead making me nauseous.

Out of everyone present here, hers is the only wound that is still open, while all the others are either healed or on the verge of healing or dried up. Why do witches don't heal as fast as us shifters?

My Mate who is standing beside his father sees my face and scowls before glaring at Mel's forehead.

"I said we will be paying our respect to our dead Melria" Alpha Ashton emphasises meeting my friend's eyes, "Not the Hyenas. Their bodies are being burned as we talk" He informs Mel and she nods her head, her eyes still holding no emotion.

"Are all of them dead, Alpha?" One of the pack member who had stayed behind to assist with the children asks Alpha Ashton and he scowls.

"A few of them ran away Kenny" He says and I frown, "The council has taken responsibility to hunt them down and kill them on sight"

"How many of ours did we lose, Alpha?" June asks in a small voice and I suck in a deep breath, wanting to hear the answer to that too.

"All in all, we lost 11 wolves" Alpha Ashton says and I hear a gasp come from the assembled crowd. "2 from our pack" Alpha Ashton looks at his pack members, who all have tears in their eyes, "2 from the Crescent Moon pack" He looks at the Crescent Moon Alpha who nods at him, "2 from the New Moon pack" The New Moon Alpha nods too, "1 from the Full Moon" The Full Moon Alpha nods, "1 from the Half Moon pack" The Half Moon Alpha nods, "And 3 from the Northern Pack" The Northern Alpha is standing as still as a stone, and he gives Alpha Ashton a very small nod.

"We also lost a dozen vampires who came to fight on their Crown Prince's side", a murmur goes through the crowd as everyone turns to stare at Tag, who is as still as a stone, "though their bodies are now taken away by their mass as they wanted to have a private ceremony for their dead" Alpha Ashton adds.

"Out of the witches who aided us, we lost two of them to the war, one from our very own coven, and the other who had come all the way from California on Mel's recommendation" I look at Mel to see if she is okay, but she looks more bored than anything.

"And Eduardo lost three of his soldiers to this war" The crowd turns to search for Ed, but I know he is already gone with his people, so that he could return the three bodies to their families and also so he could forget about this war ASAP. Ironic how much he hates war and destruction, yet whenever something being is about to happen, he finds himself thrown in the middle of it all.

"If anyone has to say anything, please step forward, and speak so that we can all go inside and have the meal the future Luna of this pack has prepared" Alpha Ashton gives me a tender look and I immediately lower my eyes to the ground.