26

I am put in charge of finding Klaus and Kol before Esther does, which I am beyond thankful for. There's no certainty that any of us would come out of this alive, so I would prefer to be with Niklaus in the end if we are unable to stop her.

Elijah is hesitant to let me go off on my own, but I remind him that he has more important things he needs to do over worrying. With Elena as our captive, Damon and Stefan will have to help us stop Esther, despite their obsession to kill Klaus.

I'm not sure what Damon knows about my connection to the situation, but I make Elijah promise me that he won't hold our friendship against him. Elena is the human connection to his heart—he deserves happiness with her over an eternity as my friend.

The Mystic Grill is buzzing when I arrive in search of the boys. I have to cross my fingers that they didn't leave town for a rowdier party, but all my fears are relieved when Klaus's blue eyes meet my own as soon as I walk through the door.

Klaus wiggles his fingers at me and smiles a hello from across the room. His lips move to show that he is talking to Kol, who is also staring at me. I subconsciously adjust my sweater and look away from the two only to find Alaric and his hot doctor chick also pretending not to notice me.

"Hey, you two." I greet when I reach the bar, "Do you mind if I join you?"

I'm somewhat familiar with drunk Klaus, so it isn't very surprising when he puts an arm around my shoulder and pulls me towards him. His eyes leave mine to look at Alaric with jealous triumph, but the human just rolls his eyes and continues his game of pool.

"Of course!" Kol choruses before shrinking his voice to a hiss, "I could use a snack to sober me up."

Klaus shoves his shoulder which causes his younger brother to bump into the man behind him, "Maybe tearing out your spleen would also do the trick."

"Oh, both of you knock it off." I reprimand, pulling myself from Klaus's grasp, "I have something I need to talk to you guys about. It's important."

They both reek of booze and I have to hold my breath when they get too close. Kol sits in his bar stool and waves to the bartender to get another drink, obviously ignoring my urgency. Klaus, on the other hand, is watching me intently. I'm not sure what capacity I have of his attention, but at least he's looking in my direction.

"Can I speak to you a moment?" I ask him.

He looks at Kol who has been given a new bottle of bourbon to drown away in. I'm not sure what the hesitancy is for, but I try not to let it get to me. Klaus holds grudges against everyone who wrongs him, so there's a chance that he's not over our conversation from this morning.

Then, he's suddenly looking towards the bar's entrance. I follow his gaze to see Caroline has made a flashy appearance. My face flashes red with embarrassment towards how beautiful she looks in comparison to my thrown together self. Jealousy has become me in this decade, and I could not be more ungrateful for it.

Kol has noticed the blonde as well, "I remember her from last night. She looks like a tasty little thing."

"If you want to catch something," I mumble under my breath.

"She's alright," Klaus chuckles and takes my hand, "Come, love. I could use some fresh air."

Caroline has made her way to the bar, but Klaus pulls me past her before a conversation can spark. Alaric notices us leaving as well, but he looks more relieved than anything. I smile at him and gesture to the doctor with my eyes. He blushes red in response.

The sun has gone down completely since I was last outside. Even with a coat on, I shiver against the wind. Klaus notices, removing his jacket and placing it gently over my shoulders.