24

I'm already feeling pretty self-conscious and it's only been less than twenty minutes since the party started. There are beautiful and handsome strangers everywhere dressed to impress the rich new family in town. It's annoying how oblivious they are to what's really going on around them.

Rebekah ended up picking out my dress for me and I have to say that she did an amazing job. The scarlet satin cascades to the floor elegantly without any sparkles or unwanted fluffiness. A deep V-neck style neckline is accompanied with an array of braided straps that secure it down my back. I even let her style my dark curls into a half-up braid that she claims looks so beautiful contrasting the bright red.

I have to admit, spending time with her like that put my mind at ease a little bit. She was reluctant at first after what Klaus told her, but I explained that Elijah and I never spoke about going together. Everything inside of me wanted to warn her more, but Elijah told me that she's not even a bit suspicious of her mother.

"Well, you look shockingly gorgeous." Damon appears next to me, dressed handsomely in a tux.

He's alone, surprisingly. I was almost sure Elena would be on his arm.

"And you somehow clean up nicely, Mr. Salvatore." I compliment him sarcastically.

"Where's your hybrid soulmate?" He jokes, scanning the room for Klaus, "I would have thought he'd never let you out of his sight."

I roll my eyes, "Don't bother. He's waiting for his date in the other room."

He makes a 'tsk' sound with his tongue, "Trouble in paradise?"

I sigh, taking a sip of my glass of bourbon in defeat.

"Oh, you're not joking," he realizes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." The front door opens and the person who steps through catches my eye, "Elena's here, Damon."

He whips his head to look at her. In one swift movement, pats my shoulder and excuses himself.

"Typical." I groan when he's gone.

She looks stunning, obviously. Her shimmering dress is no doubt one of a kind and her beautiful brown locks are swept to one side of her head, cascading over her shoulders. As soon as she arrived, every human in the building turns to gaze at her beauty. It grows comical, though, when both of the Salvatore brothers hold out their arms to her.

"I see we've opened our doors to the riff raff." Kol looks from them to me, "You, on the other hand..."

He looks me up and down which causes an uncomfortable chill to run up my spine. I didn't notice him come up beside me. I'm at a standing table back in the corner of the party, so I doubt anyone else noticed either.

"Was that supposed to be a compliment, Kol?"

"I'm afraid not. You see, my siblings are infatuated with you. It's all fun and games with the dresses and the whorish brother romances, but they still don't see how toxic you are."

"Are you trying to scare me?" I mock him, casually taking a sip from my glass.

"You would know if I was," he promises. "You came into our home 500 years ago and forced my family to forsake our very nature."

I turn to meet his eyes, "You know you were out of control. I came to you and your siblings with the offer of peace between the factions. It's not my fault that you disagree with the deal they made."

He doesn't seem convinced by my remarks, just as he hasn't been so many times before. It has always been constant fighting between the two of us; I'm just glad I have my magic back for round two.