23

Damon calls me the second he gets home. I appreciate the opportunity to get away from the newly reunited Mikaelson family, it's all still a little too strange for me.

"I know I'm not exactly the person you want to be speaking to right now," he begins after I make my way outside to be alone, "but I know I can make everything up to you, just don't hang up.

"I'm not going to hang up on you, asshole," I joke. "I've actually been thinking about it and you somewhat tried to keep Mikael away from me. I appreciate that at least."

The sound of him sighing relieves some of the tension between us. I probably should have held out on my anger longer, but after everything that happened tonight, I've come to realize that I could probably use a little more forgiveness in my life. Especially towards someone who was just fighting out of fear; I can at least understand that.

"Alright, I'm glad to have you back then." I can hear the slight smile of happiness in his voice, "Does that mean I get to know the inside scoop of what happened tonight?"

"Um..." I contemplate. "It was their mother who was in that coffin. She came just before all of Klaus's siblings were about to leave and she promised they will be a family again."

"Do you believe her?"

"Not for a second." I answer honestly.

Klaus obviously doesn't see it the way I do, but it doesn't make sense to me that Esther would come back from the dead just to reunite her family of vampires. Sure, she created them, but I know the ancestors better than anyone. If they helped bring her back, it had to have been for a reason.

I envision him nodding, "Good to know because I need you on guard for a little while."

"What, why?"

"Alaric was stabbed by his hot doctor girlfriend." He pauses, "Well, that's not what he thinks, but I'm convinced it's her."

My heart jumps at the thought of Alaric getting hurt. I should have paid more attention yesterday when they were talking about the murders going on in town. Could it possibly be the doctor Alaric is seeing? I didn't get a bad vibe when I first saw her with Alaric, but I didn't have my magic then.

Damon continues, "He's at the hospital and he's fine now. Elena had to kill him because she wasn't sure if the ring would bring him back. Thankfully, he did, but unfortunately, he's still Alaric."

I ignore his joke, "Damon, he can't keep dying. The ring will only work so many times before he's stuck on the other side as a human forever."

"What?" he questions, but the door to the house opens just before I can explain.

Klaus appears in the doorframe, "I couldn't hear you over Rebekah and Kol's bickering. Is everything alright?"

"No, you're a hybrid di-"

"Damon!" I cut him off from my side of the phone. "Please just go to the hospital and make sure he's alright."

"Elena is with him right now."

"Great. You can keep her company."

I hang up the phone and tuck it back into my pocket. I'm thankful when Klaus closes the door behind him to give us a second alone in the dark. He strides over to me, a question obviously forming on his lips.