Chapter Ten: The Human Race

As the light fades into darkness,
I stop and contemplate it's cause,
The way it showed me everything,
The way it warmed me deeply,
The darkness shrouds around me,
I feel it's icy touch,
The way it feels in a blizzard,
The was it froze my soul,
The light comes back around me,
I feel it on my skin,
The way it brings back the warmth,
They way it pulsates deep within.

——————

Rolling onto her side, she feels her hair tickle her nose. A pain in her stomach forces her legs to her chest and her stomach clenching at her sides. Heavy eyes and taut jaw, she tries to push the pain away. Without opening her eyes, she rolls over to her other side and remains tucked up against herself. Opening her eyes, her sight's blurry at first and then it fully comes back. In her sight line, Freed is in a similar position in another bed. Mira figures they must be in the Fairy Tail infirmary. His eyes open and meet hers. A pained smile covers their faces and silence just fills the room.

"Hi..." She sweetly, but weakly says blushing. She hasn't seen him in two weeks and yet, she feels they spent every moment together.

"Hey..." He groans and stretches his left arm out towards her. Steadily. Stretching out her right arm- they hold hands in between the beds and just stare at each other.

"I hope we're not interrupting anything." Lisanna's voice breaks up their intimate moment and both roll to their backs. Her cheery face warms up the awkwardness in the room as Elfman steps in and glowers at Freed. Mira blushes and tries to sit up but finds she's not only weak but in immense pain. Lisanna helps her up against the headboard and sits beside her. "We were wondering when you two would wake up."

"How long were we out? I honestly didn't know if we were put out of our miseries or not. The pain was hot in my stomach and I felt like I was dying." Shouldering herself against the wooden frame, Mira holds herself up and can tell Freed is uncomfortable.

"You both were out for about three days. The serum worked a little too well." Her sisters face drops and Mira doesn't know what even happened. She doesn't remember jumping around the walls, hurting Makarov slightly and trying to hurt Erza. She doesn't remember anything about those two weeks in confinement. Just the letters from Freed. They are the only thing she remembers. Elfman shifts in his stance and seems on the fence about pummeling Freed or crying over his sister being back and well. "It was a little hairy even giving you the serum."

"What serum exactly?" Freed now props himself up on his elbows and Elfman charges at him.

"Big sis wouldn't have any issues if you weren't around! You're not manly enough to be near her!"

"Big Brother Elf, you need to calm down. Remember what Makarov said." Lisanna touched her brothers arm and he pulls back. His anger diminishes a bit but he still watches Freed from the corner of his eye. "The serum was sort of the last resort route..."

"What...What does that mean?" Mira quietly asks and her sister shifts on the bed.

"Porlyusika couldn't make a strong enough potion to subdue the demons in you both- you would have had to take it every hour and she would eventually run out of ingredients. So...so she was forced by the Wizard Council to eradicate you too- she couldn't rightfully do it, so she did the only thing that would save your lives. She terminated the demon/angel souls inside of you both. That serum had a 50/50 chance of not only killing the demons in you, but taking your life as well. If you two wouldn't have woke up in the next two days, we were to say our goodbyes and burn your bodies to make sure you didn't come back from the dead, which is worse off than you would be living." Lisanna starts crying and Mira just pulls her sister into her arms. Elfman goes to the other side of the bed and cries as well. Mira adjusts herself and puts her arms around both of them. Looking over at Freed, he looks forlorn. Turning away from her, he lays back down on his side and lets them having their loving family moment. She's feels bad because of how Elfman is treating Freed. She can sort of understand it from their passed history together, but he needs to move on. All she can think about is his last letter he wrote her.