Chapter Twenty-Seven: Coming Back to Life

With the guild finally dwindling down to two people, Mira sighs out of relief and leans against the counter. The world seems back to normal for the most part, but her mind still dwells on her friends and Jenny. It shouldn't bother her as much as it does, but she can't help it. It's as if jealousy has taken over her body and has started to bloom and blossom instead of dry up like Mira would like it. She's never been one to allow herself the feeling of jealousy, selfishness, or arrogance. Yet since she's become human, that's all she seems to feel. She's losing her grip on herself.

As the last two patrons leave, Mira starts wiping up the tables and putting the chairs up on them. She hums and thinks about how Cana will be as a mother. She can't help but smile at the thought of a baby looking like Laxus and Cana. But what if Cana is right. What if she can't give up her alcoholism? What if Laxus doesn't want the baby? That poor child wouldn't stand a chance in a hostel environment between hot headed Laxus and drunkard Cana.

"Everything alright, Mirajane?" Her sweet voice forms a smile on Mira's face. Turning around, she notices Wendy standing a few feet away from her- hands clasped modestly in front of her stomach, hair nicely done in her pigtails, and a sweet smile on her face.

"Yes, Wendy. I'm perfectly fine. How about you? Why are you here so late? And where's Carla?" She hadn't seen the white exceed in a while- in fact, she hasn't seen Happy lately either.

"Oh, her and Happy went out for a while. I think she's starting to like him. She's stopped calling him Tom Cat." The girl seems happy, yet bothered.

"So those two as well...huh, you wanna come over to my house for the night? Lisanna and Elfman are out with their other half's so it's just me in a big house..." She tapers off, feeling like a loser and noticing the girl's face twist. She doesn't know if it's from a unpleasant thought or if she pities Mira.

"Sure! I've never been to your house before. I'm sure it's amazing!" The happy little sky dragon jumps up and Mira just laughs.

"It is pretty cool. Come on." As they walk out of the Guild, turning off the lights and locking the door, Mira and Wendy just chatter to themselves as they walk near the river towards home. "When I was little and lived in my house, I though it was so big I would get lost if I didn't put guide string on the baseboard. Haha but the older I got the more I realized how small it actually was. The string is still on the base board. Haha my magic has kept it there like a reminder to myself that the world was a big adventure you could get lost in."

"But you still can get lost in the world. There's always an adventure out there. When Jellal and I were kids, we would make our own paths. Though I'm sure he was mostly worried about being discovered, we made our adventure the most fun by analyzing the tiniest of details about things that seemed quite easy to understand." She happily walks on the wall with her arms out for balance. Mira can't help but find her fascinating. Even after all the terrible things that have happened to this small 12 year old girl, she is still happy and positive. Noticing her older comrade being quiet, Wendy looks down and smiles sweetly at her. "You're so pretty."

"Oh, thank you. I think you're very pretty as well." Blushing, Wendy jumps down off the wall and stands besides Mira.

"Thanks Mom...Um...I'm sorry...Mira." Her voice shatters and Mira blushes bright red at the girl's mistake. She always wondered what the young girl thought of her. Mira stops walking and Wendy walks a few steps ahead of her before stopping. She wishes she would have caught her tongue. Mira is such a nice person and so motherly, she forgets sometimes that Mira is a friend and nothing more. "I'm sorry..."

Smiling softly, Mira walks up behind Wendy, wraps her arms around her and lays her head on top of Wendy's.

"Don't apologize, Wendy. It must have been hard losing your mother so young. I did too you know. Both of them." The tension in the air breaks and Mira just turns Wendy around so she can look at her. Hands planted on the girl's shoulders, Mira smiles warmly down at her and can feel her Chi energy flowing through her in sync with her own. "My real mother died in childbirth. So I never had the chance to know her. And then Elfman and Lisanna's mother, Kora, passed away when I eight. I always wondered if things would have been different if her and my father wouldn't have died...but Wendy, you have become so strong from everything. Your mother would be proud. I know I am."