Chapter Twenty: Common Ground

Her dreams were filled with them. The two girls who were once her best friends. The best friends who let something terrible happen to her. But the intent wasn't to hurt her. It was to make her happy so they could have their old friend back. So in a way, they aren't entirely to blame. What makes Mirajane mad is they watched it all happen. They didn't stop it. They didn't ask if she was alright. They just hid and pretended they had nothing to do with it.

What should she do? Should she forgive them for something they had no control over? Or should she continue to let them suffer with what had ultimately became their fault?

As she cleans up the house from Elfman's small tirade that morning, Mira shuffles som books around while she dusts and a picture falls out onto the floor. Picking it up, she flips it over and finds it's a picture of her, Erza, and Cana when they were just little kids. How different they were. Cana was quiet, polite, and reserved. Erza was loud, cocky, and arrogant. And Mira herself was outrageously crude, snarky, and boisterous. Who knew that they would turn out so different. Erza is now polite, Cana is loud and arrogant, and Mira is reserved.  Smiling down at the memory, a tear slides down her cheek and it catches her off guard. She misses them. She misses being able to confide in them, their laughter, their joy- everything that made them become friends in the first place. No one would ever understand her the way they do. No one will ever amount to the status of best friend like Cana and Erza have. But Mira dismissed them as her friends. She said terrible things to them that she can never take back. Words are the worst form of scars. They play in the victims head until they stop breathing.

**Ding Dong**

Turning toward the front door, Mira wonders who would visit her at this time of day. Most of the time her friends are already out on requests or doing something better than ringing her door bell. With the picture still in her hand, she goes to the door and opens it slightly- just in case it's an unfriendly person.

"Hello?" She says and then notices the familiar shimmer of armor in the sunlight and the same tanned exposed waist standing at her door. "Oh, hi."

She opens the door wider and steps back- clearly inviting them inside. Erza and Cana just smile small like and walk inside awkwardly standing in her hallway. They look around and notice the photo in Mira's hand. It makes them happy and sad. Why can't they be innocent children again? Why did the world have to become so complicated?

"We...um...we wanted to come and...." Erza can't even get it out before Mira just throws herself at them and starts crying while she holds them in a hug. "We're sorry!"

They fall to the floor and just hold each other with tears coming down their faces. Just walking through the door is Lisanna and Evergreen once more and they stand there shaking their heads.

"Mira-nee, you three really do have an odd relationship. Sadly only two of you can get married- polygamy is not acceptable yet." Lisanna happily says and Mira for the first time ever, flips her off. Lisanna snaps a quick picture and walks passed her with Evergreen in toe.

"You have grown up so much....I'm so proud."Cana sarcastically says and they just laugh and pull apart. They remain sitting on the floor inches away from each other. "We really are sorry Mirajane. We never meant for you to get hurt."

"Or miss your first date." Erza adds.

"Guys, we're Fairy Tail- when do we ever do things the correct way?" Mira says smiling. "I said things the other day that I regret. I never should have said them. I was just mad and slightly drunk- but that's no excuse."

"Mira, we all do it. Hell, if we didn't, we'd probably kill each other. It's stress. We let it build up and then we explode." Erza takes the girl's hands and squeezes them. "We just need to always remember that our friendship is more important than vices, boys, and other stupid things. We need common ground."